Chapter 4: Doctor Visit

The car ride home from school was mostly silent. When they finally reached home, Oliver headed up to his room. His mother was worried, however, as any mother would be in her place. The first thing she did was inform Oliver's father about the issue. After a quick discussion, the two parents concluded that they would have to take their son to the doctor. The doctor could tell them what was going on, and fix the problem so that Oliver wouldn't have to be dealing with this his whole life.

Oliver was up in his room, sitting on his bed. What in the name of the Lord is going on with me? He wondered.

Before he could ponder any longer, however, his mother came up to his room. "Oliver, we've decided to take you to the doctor as soon as possible and sort whatever this is out." Oliver blushed a bit, but didn't argue; he wanted it sorted out as well. Luckily, the urologist wasn't very busy, so his mother and him got in the car, and his father stayed home to wait for his sister to get home from school.

The doctor was a mercifully short distance away, so the silent car ride didn't last too long. They got there, checked in, and waited all in a span of what felt like 15 or so minutes. The doctor's name was Dr. Wesley, a tall bald man who looked a bit like he was more cut out to be a football player. He was a good doctor, though. He came into the small room quickly and closed the door behind him.

"What seems to be the issue?" He looked at Oliver, then at his mother. Mom told the whole story, how he had had an accident at dinner, how they'd thought it was the tea, and how he had wet himself at school as well, which kind of ruled out the suspicion that it was the tea. Dr. Wesley listened thoughtfully until the end. "Well, there is a possibility the tea caused both accidents, but with the metabolism of a young boy, that is unlikely. I want to start out by getting a urine sample, just to make sure there's nothing odd going on there." He pulled a cup with measurements on the side from a cabinet and handed it to Oliver, then got a red solo cup from another cabinet, filled it with water, and gave that to Oliver as well.

Oliver drained the cup, went to the bathroom, waited, and finally completed the task, then put it in the door in the wall to send it to the urology lab. When he returned, Dr. Wesley was explaining to Oliver's mom that the testing wouldn't take long and they'd only have to wait a few minutes. He was correct, because in about three minutes, a nurse came through the door, looking a bit concerned. This, in turn, concerned both Oliver and his dear old mother. "Dr. Wes, you need to come see this," The nurse said. Dr. Wesley left, and five minutes later, came back with a slightly shocked look on his face.

"What is is?" Oliver's mother stood up dramatically. "Whatever it is, tell us now." Her southern drawl intensified with her worry. "It's nothing life-threatening, ma'am, but I'll be honest and say it will be life-altering." Dr. Wes explained calmly. Oliver's heart dropped. "Well, then, what is it?" He asked. "Son, you have a very rare condition, even rarer still in someone your age, called Urinary Bacterial Disease, otherwise known as UBD. It is caused by a malfunction in the tissue of your bladder wall, that produces a certain bacteria that causes weakening of your urethral muscles. It is only diagnosable by observing a urine sample; which yours did contain trace amounts of the bacteria."

Oliver was flabbergasted. "Are you sure that's what the problem is?" Dr. Wes nodded solemnly. "Now, since the disease is so rare, there isn't really a cure or any treatment options. The best you can do is to try eating more berries that promote urinary health. Your blueberries, cranberries, raspberries. I would also consider trying medical diapers to prevent any more accidents." Oliver's mother looked angry now. "What do you mean there's no cure or treatment? Isn't your whole job to cure diseases like this?" Her drawl was even stronger still. Dr. Wesley explained calmly, "Yes, but in this case there just isn't enough research on this disease. It also normally effects much older people, and by that point in their lives it's easier to just use adult diapers. You could look into non-profits that are looking into the treatment of UBD to get more information, but for now there isn't much to do."

And, with that, Oliver's mother paid, left, and (although begrudgingly) purchased some medical diapers in Oliver's size at a local drugstore. Then, they were on their way home to deliver the news to his father. Oliver had never felt more humiliated in his life. Well, maybe earlier that day when he had pissed himself in front of his whole class, but it's an expression.