runaway princess ; chapter 7

*:・゚✧ previously on ; runaway princess

For Lucas, it seemed like a hole in his heart seemed to be getting pieced a little back together. He felt a little hope- he didn't feel, lonely anymore. He didn't plan on sparing her life for free, though.

  He sat in his bed, a smug smile plastering his face. "Big idiot," he scoffed, a tinge of happiness in him, at the very least.

 "Big idiot," he scoffed, a tinge of happiness in him, at the very least

Chapter 7: Magician and Servant

ATHY

  I don't know if it was a blessing in disguise— that the magician had found out about my secret. Perhaps there is a part of him that is a single bit 'gentlemanly' at times. Not that I expected anything. It's been weeks since then, since I first stepped into his palace of the magicians.

  Since I became the Royal Magician's personal assistant— or otherwise stated. Puppy dog. Every once in a while, this boy calls for me. For no reason (which drives me absolutely mad).

  I do not even know his name! But he never ceases to surprise me. And make my heart flutter, just a little. Like right now.

NOBODY

  "Pu-ppy!" Lucas called out. Athy sighed from the table at the side of his room, gently settling her half-written transcripts and calligraphy pen down. She shuffled to his side, hands clasp together at the front. "Yes, my lord?"

  "Ah, yes," his expression was undeniably excited. Lucas pushed a stack of books in her direction. "I've got more presents to brighten your day."

  Too excited.

  Athy had no way to refuse. She could be thrown into the royal dungeon once found out to be a liar. Or be killed if her father ever saw her. "Yes, my lord," she sighed, leaning down to pick the pile of books up— before her head piece fell, along with her hair tie.

  Before long, she lost her balance while reaching for the hair tie.

  "W-Wait!" She yelped, eyes widened. Athanasia fell into the royal magician's lap.

  She could feel the heat rising to her cheeks; heart palpitating. Her hands were on his chest to hold herself up. All she could do was stare into the boy's eyes for the moment, foreheads lightly touching.

  He really did look attractive closer up.

  Lucas settled both his hands on her side, lifting her up so she sat fitted right into his lap, much to her surprise.

  Athanasia, of course, was too stunned to do anything.

  He gently took the falling strands of her golden locks and began tying them. His expression, however, was completely calm. Much unlike the runaway princess.

  "You're blonde," he pointed out. Athanasia was still flushed. Perhaps, a little bit captivated. "Y-Yeah. Both my parents were."

  "Were?" The words escaped Lucas's lips out of curiosity, before he realised the girl in his lap had started clenching her fists, as if remembering an unpleasant memory. "Uh, I didn't mean to bring up anything bad. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

  Athanasia didn't think that he could have a side like this to him. A boy, picked her up, and put her on his lap. And was tying her hair for her. Her. Disguised as a servant. His servant.

  It was that feeling she kind of missed from being with Lily. Being taken care of.

  "My mother was a dancer. She was very beautiful," a tiny smile left Athy's lips. "But she passed during labour. I saw her a lot in my dreams as a child."

  It didn't hurt a lot thinking about Diana. She knew her mother would want the best for her, and that always comforted the girl.

  "I'm sorry to hear that," Lucas said. "It's okay, I really love talking about her," Athy fiddled with her fingers while an awkward silence hung in the room. "What about you?"

  "Did your beau- who's genes did you take after?" Athy blushed, tripping over her words a little. It was a save, but a barely-saved-herself save. Lucas heard it loud and clear, knowing she was about to say beautiful. Beautiful like how she fondly recalled of her mother.

  Lucas's face reddened a little. Wasn't this girl ready to kick him in the crotch earlier?

  "Ah, I was kind of adopted," he spoke in a calm tone. "The master of the tower took me in."

  "Oh."

  The conversation got really deep.

  "I didn't know what love was back then. Not sure I know now," Lucas forced a chuckle. "My adoptive mother passed not long after their child was born. So did my sibling."

  Athanasia could feel the pain in his words, no matter how straight forward they were. "I asked my father what he was crying over," Lucas's tone got sadder by the minute. "And he said I'll know one day. I didn't really comprehend emotions back then."

  "Not even when he died."

  Athanasia could feel everything in his words. This boy had gone through as much. By then, he'd finished the bun in her hair, picking up the head piece as he settled it on her head.

  Lucas could hear the subtle sniffing as Athanasia wiped tiny drops of tears. She got off his lap, facing him. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to cry."

  "It's fine. You do look a little cuter when you're not trying to bite my head off," Lucas snickered.

  To think I was crying for this bastard! Was all Athanasia could think of. Thinking of how he made her heart flutter, was probably only before he left the room. Fleeing from his duties. As the royal magician.

  And leaving his paperwork to her.

  "Bastard!"

;; a/n ;;
wOAAAA IT TOOK ME SO LONG AAHAHA it is almost 4am and i have a morning shift to my part time job tomorrow 😭 but i really had fun writing this, i'm thinking i miiiight just make athy fall in love first 😐 maybe <3 i've been seeing to many of 'ML falls in love first' so why not something different for a change!!! i'm working at a bookstore while waiting for my results!! it's been super fun <3 i really love it hehe!! i hope you guys have been great <3 i'm sorry though!! jus a qn,, does this chapter feel too fast paced? like there is not enough plot progression? please feel free to let me know!! thank you for reading <3

see you friday?
ja, matane!
-eru <3