Chapter 23.

Hayden and I left Vegas at 4 in the morning and landed 6:15, I had an hour to spare before I had to head to the office. I opted for a fresh shower, lots of water, and an ibuprofen to make myself feel better during my day. I didn't get much or barely any sleep last night and I drunk more than I should've. It's ridiculous how many drinks I've had since I met Hayden. I went from not drinking at all to having a drink almost every weekend.

In order to hide Hayden's bittersweet reminders of my first time, I wore a gray long sleeve turtleneck tucked into black slacks. It was either a turtleneck or coating my skin in layers and layers of foundation. Being that Dr. Horgan wore turtlenecks almost everyday it wouldn't be odd if I wore one too.

"How was your trip?" Dad asked me making a fresh pot of coffee before having to leave for work.

"It was eventful."

"Is that good or bad?"

"Good." I answer, memories of the weekend playing back in my mind.

"That's good to hear." He places a feather light kiss on my forehead. "Have a good day at work, and if you're free for dinner, I'd like to take you out. An early graduation dinner."

"I would love that Dad."

"Alright, I'll text you where to meet me later, love you."

"I love you, too dad."

At the office when the clock turned 9 o'clock Hayden showed up. He was on the phone and said a quick hello to me while signing in then going into Dr. James room.

Simon came in shortly after him with a woman who looked young enough to be an older sister. "This is my mother, the prostitute I told you about." He tries to whisper the second part but failed.

She slaps his arm, "Do you ever shut the fuck up Simon? You don't have to tell every person you meet my goddamn business."

"It's great to meet you Misses Skye."

"I have one child and people think they can call me miss or ma'am," She rolls her eyes taking a cigarette from her purse.

"You can't smoke in here." I tell her.

"I'll go outside then." She walks away going back into the elevator.

"Excuse my mother," Simon smiles, "she's kind of a bitch."

"That's okay." I chuckle. He signs in and takes his usual seat by the window.

Dr. Horgan's and Dr. Reece's patients also crowd up the waiting room. Christina, one of Dr. Reece's patients, always stuck out to me every Monday when she came in. She was so young, she had to be at least five or six and a small fraction of her face was burnt, badly. Every morning she came in and went straight to the little toy section. I noticed as her caregiver would talk to her she would not reply at all. I wanted to know what happened to her.

Dr. Reece appeared from the long corridor and stands in front of my desk with a clipboard in his hand, "Have you ever wanted to work with children Miss Greene?" He asked watching Christina and marking things down on the clipboard.

"I did at one point during my course." I tell him. It was when Professor Randall played the documentary 'Child of Rage'.

"Was it Beth Thomas that your Professor talked about?"

I nod, "She was so young and defenseless, I felt horrible for her. It made me want to help more children like her."

"Let me be the first to tell you, not all cases are like that. Not all children who have her mental illness are willing to talk so easily about what's on their mind. Like Christina for instance. She's so traumatized by an incident that took place when she was three, she has since been mute. I observe her before my appointment with her to see how she is around her aunt or uncle and how she is once in that room with me."