Chapter 1 : A Cop Behind Bars

Beginne am Anfang

"What is happening? Where did it all go wrong?" Archer thought as all his belongings were collected and he was being taken behind bars".

"Stop it there!!!, Don't take him!!!" Hailey cried.

"You're crying so hard for him awww, are you carrying his child already?" Collins laughed as he got up and walked out of the office.

"Mendy, why did you do this? Are you thinking at all?" Mr. Andy said angrily.

"Joshua" he called him by his name "we are of the same ranks, just because you are made the boss Detective does not make you superior to me" Mr. Mendy replied.

"Did you hear what you're saying at all?. You called me Joshua" Mr. Andy said. "You've put mud on the face of the team, do you know that?. The press had started to interfere". Mr Andy said.

"I've made my decision then, you should try to change it, I know people too" Mr. Mendy said.

Other officers made their way out, leaving Mr. Andy and Hailey to their thoughts.

"Where do you think it all went wrong?" Mr. Andy asked, lighting a replacement to the cigarette he exhausted.

"This is conspiracy sir, Archer will never do such" Hailey said.

"You'll have a lot of work to do if you want him to survive this" said Mr. Andy, "visit Damien and get samples from the knife, jacket, apple, business card and handprints on the victim" he concluded.

"We'll do that sir, the righteous must not be punished" Hailey said and left the office.

"There's more to this, if not Archer, who could it be?, Collins?" he soliloquizes as he let out the hot smoke from the cigarette.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

In Jail

"It is said to make hay while the sunshine. I've let my guard down, this is a battle of the powerful. 9 officers against me". He brooded over the situation.

"You have a visitor" a constable's voice brought him back from the land of thoughts.

He looked forward and saw Hailey carrying a lunch box.

"I barely feel it that I've not been given food since being here yesterday, and to God be the glory, he sent me my daily bread" he thought.

"Good morning" her voice said softly.

"Good morning" he replied as fast as he could, as the worms in him were demanding.

"How have you been? Hope you were not tortured? I thought you must be famished, hence I brought this along" she said putting the box on front of him through the jail holes. "Archer" her voice brought me back from my thoughts "I was talking to you" she said.

"Am I just realizing this?, or this is because she brought me breakfast?, I never knew she was this beautiful, she's glowing, no doubt, and the pyjamas fits her so well" Archer thought.

"Archer, are you okay?" Hailey asked.

"Sorry, I was lost in thought" Archer replied.

"You should eat now" Hailey said.

"Thank you" Archer replied.

"Do not worry everything will be settled soon, I know it personally that you're not the murderer, and Mr. Andy also knows that". She said as she attended to an incoming call. "Hello, who is it?" she stood and went out speedily.

"Something is wrong" Archer thought but his hunger made him care-not, and he swiftly unpacked the dish to meet a heartwarming delicacy. He took the cutleries and started to devour like a hungry predator. Minutes became hours, Hailey did not come back, 'at least she should bid him farewell". Archer thought.