Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

          Carson leaned down towards me and grinned. "You're my boyfriend, remember?" She asked in chimpmunk voice. "Do you really want to see my dad now as the guy dating his daughter?" She raised her eyebrows at me.

          "Oh....right." Well, I wasn't really ready for an interrogation.

          Carson nodded. "Thought so."

          "But..." I responded, just as she turned around. "... I'm willing to go."

          Carson looked over her shoulder and grinned. "Then hurry up and get dressed."

~~~~~~~

Over the past few years, i have dated a lot of girls. Even with my on-and-off relationship I had with Jane Torres, I still managed to snag a new a girl whenever our relationship was "off". However, none of those relationships were ever serious enough for the girl wanting me to meet her parents or me wanthing her to meet my parents. The girlfriend i had that had ever met my parents was none other than Jane Torre but i had never met hers. Perhaps, she was ashamed of bringing home a guy who wasn't as "high-class" as her but I didn't really care. As long as i avoided the confrontation most boys have whenever meeting their girlfriends' father, then it was all good.

          However, now that I was standing in front of Mr. Lovette's house with Carson by my side, it really felt as though I was meeting him as the guy dating his daughter. And if any guy knew that feeling, it was pretty scary. And even though, Carson and I weren't really dating, that didn't change the fact that I was still scared as hell. What if he started interogatting me about my life plans? What I wanted to do besides music ten years from? What if was going to start asking me about continuing my education? God, I wasn't really ready for that.

          Carson probably noticed me being at unease because she looked at me and chuckled. "You were the one who wanted to come with me in the first place," she taunted.

          I huffed out a sigh. "I know."

          Well, excuse me for being nice.

          I looked over to Carson and noticed that even though she looked calm, that her body was still tense. The way she clutched onto her bag made it seem as though she was ready to explode or something. However, just as I was about to point this out to her, the door of the house flew wide open and I immediately took my hands out my pocket and stood up straight.

          At the door stood an average-height man around his late fourties wearing a white button down shirt and black dress pants. His dark hair was combed neatly back and he looked as if he was about to go somewhere important. He first looked at me with narrowed eyes but quickly shifted his gaze down to his daughter and his face softened a little bit. 

          "Anna," Mr. Lovette said. "Your mother said you'd be here."

          Carson shrugged. "I'm standing here, aren't I?" 

          Mr. Lovette nodded as he looked at me from the corner of his eyes. He then looked back to Carson and began speaking to her Filipino or whatever their language was. I think it's called Tagalog or something, I wouldn't really know. I was Canadian.

          "Bakit siya dito?" He asked, gesturing towards me.

          Carson rolled her eyes. "He's my boyfriend, dad," she replied, calmly. "Remember? I told you this over the phone. I came to New York City to see you and to attend Vincent's friend's movie premiere."