|chapter 10|a new beginning|

Start from the beginning

"Ah, you are thinking quite a lot like a Hufflepuff, Mr.Snape. You would fit there too. I am sure you would make a bunch of people happy. You would be a helpful friend and would make an amazing student. Hufflepuff would be lucky to have you in there..."

"Wait, I am not going to be a Slytherin?.." - he questioned. Severus could not believe that. Would that change the future? Of course not! His house would not change anything, no matter where would he be! He would find a way, no matter how long would it take or how hard would it be, to be with Lily for as long as he possibly can.

"I do not think that Slytherin is a proper house for you, Severus. It simply does not suit you. I am not saying that you do not have these traits, quite the opposite, you have the courage and ambition that will defiantly help you to keep the friend safe and sound, but putting the traits this way also seems to fit you as a Hufflepuff. But peeking at your thoughts, many could see that you are intelligent and observant. I would even call you wise, but I am not sure many would appreciate that, since it is often used on older wizards and witches, but I see that you are not too young yourself, Mr.Snape."

Severus froze. Does the hat know?! Will it reveal the truth about him to everyone? Then everything would fail! He did not think about that... He could not lose Lily again! No no no! Please! He could not allow it!

"Do not fear, Mr. Snape. Your secrets will stay with you, they are not my thing to go through and reveal. Plus, I am sure I would not exist for long if I reveal them because I can see the passion to protect the people you love, in you. So I am sure I would get destroyed. Either by you or your red-haired friend. She does really care about you."

Severus smiled at that. She cares. It made something in him flutter, having someone care about him again is nice. He wanted to be in a house that would keep him close to Lily and give him a good chance of protecting her. Perhaps even finding some more people to help him..?

"Ah, anything for friends, huh?" - the hat questioned, seemingly thinking of something.

"Yes. Anything. I have done something in the past, that I do not wish to repeat. I must change that!" - he insisted' not ready to abandon his idea.

"Quite persistent are you? Not going to give up on that so easily will you?" - the hat seemed to be smiling. Severus nodded slowly in agreement. He wanted this questioning to end. Snape just wanted to eat, sleep and deal with the problems later. The hat sighed.

"Aha, I see all of the house traits in you, yet there is indeed a house that stands out the most. Slytherin traits will be visible in you, but the house is not for you..." - the hat said and Snape's breath hitched. He was not going to Slytherin. The raven-haired boy was not sure whether he should laugh or cry.

"Gryffindor would truly be grateful to have such a brave and fierce student like you. Hufflepuff seems to share much of the traits with you. And from what you have told me, you are doing most of this for a friend that you truly care about." - the hat continued. Severus breathed in, waiting for the verdict. He knew that all of his connections are lost, but if being anything other than Slytherin, would make him closer to Lily than he used to be, he would be fine with suffering.

"But I must not forget about the things that plague your mind, that is your memories. All the things you went through...you are truly brave, lad. But that bravery will not be something that i shall put you in Gryffindor house for, you do not belong in there even if your friend does... I can see a bunch of stubbornness in you too, Severus. But there is also intelligence and so much strength in your mind... These traits will definitely help you in the future, Mr. Snape. And I sure can appreciate the determination in your actions, yet you shall go somewhere, where people would respect, treasure you... and would not judge you, of course! I am sure that the house you will be in will take care of you just as much as you will take care of it. You will find amazing friends and go on remarkable adventures. So, let it be... Ravenclaw!"