Chapter 5

I headed back to Blackthorne. But not to go to class, I was there to spy on my mother.

My mother had been a Gallagher Girl too.

All I knew about the circle was that they're known for recruiting at a young age.

Joe had been sixteen.

As soon as I got there my mother was waiting.

"Zach I think it's time for you to help me on a mission," she told me.

"What's this mission?" I asked.

"Her name is Cameron Morgan," she almost smiled.

My eyes went wide.

"You know her, don't you? I want you to get closer to her. Then we'll get her. She knows things," my mother said. I could have compared her to the wicked witch of the west. "What do you say? Join the circle?" Her eyes were lit with excitement.

And then I realized, I'm sixteen and all I could think was: Just like Joe. Joe's words echoed in my ears, "Never join the circle, because from that point on it'll be nothing but hell for you. Protect Cammie."

Then I looked my mother straight in the eye and call me crazy but I think men can totally PMS like a girl on a really bad day, but who knows? "No."

My mom stared at me for a long moment, she looked confused and she looked like she was ready for me to jump up and say I'm kidding! But that wasn't going to happen. She finally spoke, saying, "But you've been training for this your whole life," she looked me over as if to make sure I looked normal.

"It's not that I can't do it, mother!" I snapped. "I'm quite capable of doing a lot of things but I'm telling you right here, right now that I would rather die than join the circle and hurt Cammie." My hands were balled into fists.

"So you have a crush," she said, notably unsympathetically. "So what? Do think she likes you? Because you kissed her once she must just fantasize about you all the time?" She scoffed and let out a harsh laugh. "She's probably got it for that stupid kid in Roseville. Why do you care about her? She'll never love you. Come on, if you told her I'm your mother, what do you think would happen? She'd throw you in the dust like trash." And right then I could have killed her, my anger and hate right then was more than I could bare.

"I don't care what she thinks of me," I snapped and for once my lie was so transparent and my mother laughed out loud.

"You've gone soft for that stupid girl? She's a Morgan Zach, you never trust a Morgan."

"You don't know her like I do," I snapped. "You don't know anything about her."

"Oh, Zachy don't you get it? I know her more than you think and she's the girl that nobody sees but you saw her. You see her and she's just like me," her laugh was mirthless and dark.

"She's nothing like you," I growled.

"You are so naïve," she laughed. "You can't protect her."

"Just watch me!" I shouted.

"We'll get her, Zach. We'll have her and she'll tell us everything. And then she'll

be at my disposal," she threatened.

"You won't get her," I shouted. "And she won't tell you anything anyway."

"We have ways to make uncooperative spies talk," she smiled wickedly and I really wanted to find somthing to impale her with but there really wasn't anything in the room aside from pencils and I'm pretty sure she wasn't a vampire so it wouldn't kill her (What? I may have fantasized she was a couple of times when she was pissing me off).

A shiver ran down the back of my spine and a cold feeling spread out in my chest.

I'd been taught at Blackthorne that we could do whatever to make a spy talk and most of them were unpleasent and I knew Cammie would be stubborn

enough to go through the pain, but how much could she handle?

We were on the far side of the law. But I needed to be a good guy. I wanted to be worth it. I wanted Cammie to want me like I wanted her.

I had to be better.

I had to protect Cammie.

Then I did what I never thought I would ever do, I walked out of Blackthorne with my mother standing there looking at me like a traitor but that was what she was. A traitor.

I had to keep Cammie safe. I would do anything for her.

I would keep her safe.

No matter the cost.