Chapter 2

I ran faster than I ever had to the room with the laundry shoot. It was too tight and I knew that I couldn't get through. I could hear Cammie's scream," Run, Macey! Go!" I could hear the desperation in her voice.

Oh, Cammie.

I heard someone cry out in pain, but there was nothing I could do. Then I thought, If it leads to the top floor, then maybe Cammie or Macey could use their brilliance to realize they could use it to get away.

I heard a scream of pain and immediately knew that it was my Gallagher Girl.

Then I felt the chute shake. Macey McHenry came sailing through the bottom of the chute. I didn't check if she was okay. I already knew that she would be okay.

Cammie wasn't there, and that was all that mattered at the moment. I felt that sudden panic and looked at the chute. Re-sizing it up. How could I get to her? I

was sure that they probably already had her, but I had to try.

Then there was a loud scream of, "No!" It was my mother. The chute began to shake again and the fear set in once again. I watched as Cammie came flying through the air almost too gracefully. She landed on a pile of white sheets next to Macey. I heard her whisper almost too faint for me to hear," Macey." Droplets of blood splattered on the sheets like rain, staining them a bloody, crimson color. Blood dripped from her head and she looked so broken, laying there. No!

I wanted to cry out. My own mother had hurt her! I'd given up so much for my mother, but Cammie was the one thing I wasn't willing to give up. Not willing to give up for anything. Not Cammie. I won't let her take Cammie from me or her family, I vowed to her silently, in my head.

I saw her stare at me for a long moment. That same look of recognition was in her eyes again. She stared at me for a moment before she was too weak to keep her head up and keep her eyes open. She let her head fall back and she closed her eyes.

I whispered." Gallagher Girl."

Cammie was worse than Macey. Her head was bleeding and I knew that I wouldn't be able to help her with this. I needed someone who could help. Sat there for only a moment leaning over her before I heard a man shout," United States Secret Service, open up!"

A moment later I was Calling Joe Solomon [Cammie's teacher and my best friend].

" Joe!" I yelled.

" Zach? What's wrong?" Joe asked.

" It's Cammie!" I told him. " She was attacked in Boston, on the roof, with Macey!" I didn't even try to hide the fear in my voice  -it was a little too late for that.

" Where are you now? I'll get Rachel and we'll bring them somewhere safe." Joe sounded worried. No, I told myself. Joe Solomon does not get worried.

" The Hotel for the McHenry and Winters campaign," I told him.

" We're coming," He said quickly.

Not even 30 minutes later Cammie's mother, Rachel Morgan\ -Headmistress of the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women -and Joe were at the hotel. I couldn't face her mother. I didn't want her to look at me and somehow see through me, to know that I was Catherine Goode's son. I just hoped that cammie would be okay. I didn't know if I could stand that look of hate in Cammie's eyes . She was the one person that really mattered to me. I thought Cammie was so Stubborn and funny and kind and brave, and in some ways very vulnerable. She hadn't seen the world the way I had. She'd only seen parts of it. I knew her. I knew her favorite secret passage ways at Gallagher Academy, what she ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I knew the name of her Ex boyfriend [ Which I wished I didn't], I know who her best friends are, and who she really is. I'd seen her. I'd seen the real Cammie and I loved her for it.

Later I got a post card from the place I'd first met her. The Ruby Slipper Exhibit picture was on thew post card. Back then she'd been so naive and hadn't even

realized I was tailing her.

Be Careful

-Z

I wrote on the post card and mailed it to Cammie.

Please follow or vote if you liked it and please comment to tell me if you like it, love it, or hate it. I heart u!