"I'm proud of you."

Summary: Lexie hasn't been feeling well and a certain attending comforts and helps her through it. Takes place in s6.

Warning: character death spoiler.

Words: 1084
—————————————————————————
Beep. Beep. Beep.

That was the first thing Lexie after her power nap. Her stupid alarm.

She rubbed her eyes and yawned. The circles under her eyes could be seen a mile away. She hasn't been sleeping that well lately.

Let's just say, losing your best friend is hard.

When George died, it became different. She became different. It's affecting her mood. She zones out during rounds, she doesn't eat anymore, she drinks about 4 cups of coffee in the morning, God knows how many in the afternoon. Some of her colleagues have caught the resident crying in a supply closet, because apparently, it's everyone's go to place to have a good cry.

The brunette checked her watch and sprinted out the door when she saw it was 8 in the morning.

She was late for rounds. Again.

She ran to the peds floor, where she had been working this week. Once she sees blonde hair tied up in a ponytail, she walks to the woman, trying to catch her breath.

"Dr.Robbins, h-hey. I'm sorry I'm late,"

Arizona turned around, a beautiful smile on her face. "It's fine- are you okay?" She asked, anxiously looking at the girl in front of her.

"No, I'm not okay. I'm awful and I don't know what to do with myself.", she thought.

"Yes, I'm great," was what she actually said. "Just a bit tired and um- dizzy?"

"You could go to the bathroom, splash some water on your face and maybe even drink some?" The blonde touched Lexie's forehead, "I don't think you have a fever, but you are looking a bit pale. What have you eaten in the past 24 hours?"

"Um.. s-some, uh, sandwiches? And, um,
c-cereal," She stuttered.

"You seem unsure. Lexie, did you even eat in the last 24 hours?"

She nodded.

"Are you lying to me?"

She hesitantly nodded.

Arizona gently grabbed Lexie's hand and guided her to an on call room. When they were both inside, the attending closed and locked the door.

"What's going on? Is this because of George?"

Just hearing his name made Lexie's eyes fill up with tears, the lump in her throat appearing once again.

Don't cry in front of your attending, come on.

"I'm here for you. Genuinely. Everyone always say that, and they don't really mean it, do they? But I do. I wanna be there for you. You are not alone."

A tear rolled down the resident's cheek, her bottom lip slightly quivering.

She took Lexie's shoulder and looked her in the eyes.

"I'm here to help you. All you gotta do is admit that you're not okay," she wiped the younger woman's tear with her thumb.

"I'm not okay."

The sound of her voice breaking almost made her coworker cry on the spot, it was painful to hear.

"I'm proud of you."

Just four simple words and yet, it made Lexie burst into tears.

Arizona pulled the woman in front of her into a tight hug, holding the back of her head. "It's okay, let it all out."

She cried, whimpered and sniffled into her attending's shoulder, who was slowly rubbing her back.

About three minutes had passed and she had stopped crying. She was still closing her eyes and struggling to catch her breath but she was not crying.

They were just standing, in the middle of an empty room, hugging.

When Lexie realized that, she pulled away and wiped her tears. Her tired and now puffy eyes were looking into Arizona's.

"Thank you, Dr.Robbins. I needed this and I appreciate that you did that for me."

"Anytime, Grey. Are you tired?" She asked, making the resident nod. "Take a nap, you deserve it."

And with that, Arizona left the room, hands in her pockets, head high and one of her gorgeous smiles.

Lexie got into the nearest bed and lied down on it. She drifted away to sleep, thinking about her interaction with the blonde.
-
-
4 weeks later

Arizona Robbins keeps her promises, that's for sure.

In the last months, Arizona got Lexie to take some days off, made her eat three times a day and so much more.

They'd have a daily talk in the on call room, making sure everything's okay. They would eat in the cafeteria together and sometimes even link their arms together.

Lexie became happier, healthier and she got the help she needed. She never thought an attending could care about her the way Arizona does.

Her mood changed.

Well, that's not the only thing that changed, now is it?

She used to see her attending as a coworker, maybe a friend.

But now, she feels butterflies every time Arizona's hand brushes against hers. Her stomach does backflips every time her attending stares into her eyes.

She knew she shouldn't feel this way towards her superior.

She just couldn't help it.

It was a rainy night when the resident was walking towards the exit, adjusting her purse around her shoulder.

"Lexie, wait for me!" someone said from behind, making her turn around.

"Zona, hey! How was your appendectomy?"

They walked out of the hospital, into the standard Seattle weather.

"It went well, Ruth is in the ICU, resting. If you were on my service, I would've let you go solo on that." She smiled at her friend.

"Wow, befriend the hot doctor and you'll get cool surgeries." Lexie said, a small chuckle escaping her lips.

"Did you just call me hot?" The blonde woman asked, a smirk plastered on her face.

"Maybe I did," she stepped in front of her Arizona, completely soaked from the rain falling down on them.

"What are you gonna do about it?"

That was the only thing Arizona needed to hear before she smashed their lips together. One hand was on the back of her head, the other on the younger woman's back, pulling them closer together.

Lexie's cold hands immediately went to cup Arizona's face. The kiss was passionate and intense, just how you'd want your first kiss with someone. Sparks were flying all around her body.

Once they pulled away, their foreheads touching, they took a moment to catch their breaths.

"That. I'll do that," the blonde said, smiling.

"I like you, Lex," Arizona blurted.

"I like you too, Zona," She smiled.

Like, genuinely smiled.

"Let's go home," Lexie suggested, interlacing her fingers with the blue eyed woman, who nodded.

And that's what they did, smiling and mentally kicking themselves for not doing this sooner.

—————————————————————————
A/N: i HAD to make a lexzona kiss in the rain i am not sorry :)

happy holidays🫂❤️‍🩹