Prologue (Version 02)

Low, rumbling snarls sounded, accompanied by the crunching of leave underfoot. The source of the noise was an oversized tabby tom who was lumbering maliciously through the trees.
His green eyes searched from left to right as he went, and he let out another drawling breath.

The tom's maw was moist with anticipation of a meal, however there was no sign of life around him. No scuffles of voles under the leaf litter, no twigs snapping under the weight of a squirrel, not even the faint pittering of a mouse. Simply nothing. Leafbare had taken a toll on the territory despite it's recent arrival; the night was unusually cold and the wind strangely harsh.

The dark tabby was grateful at once that he was not at home on the moors. Though a moor-cat at heart, he never could stand the biting air nor the relentless drafts.

ThunderClan cats have got it lucky, said a high, gravely voice in his head, Lots of tree-cover!
The brown tabby cackled quietly to himself, agreeing with the voice in indistinguishable sputters. Continuing to search the territory, it was clear that the tom was looking for something more than typical prey. His fur was bristled and his claws were itching to be unsheathed— all signs that he was expecting no less than a scuffle. Tail lashing, he sighed roughly.

"When will I find her? I don't have time to waste." All he heard in response was abrupt laughter in the back of his mind. You don't have anything better to do, so what's it matter to you? The tom spat as he stumbled on.

"Hey! I could be warm in my nest, that's for sure!"

Shhhh! Be quiet, Mousebrain! Do you want to make this worse? The tom flinched at the voice's angry hiss. If you scare her off with all your barking, what will you do then?

Just as