•S1 E1: Rise of the Snakes (II)•

'It's agreed, then—the prophecy clearly says that one of us is going to be the Green Ninja?'

    'Yes.'

    'And another one is going to be the Grey Ninja.'

    'Yep.'

    'And none of us are going to let it go until it'd decided who's who.'

    Zane waved goodbye to Shard as the doors shut on the dragon cabinets. 'That is correct. May I suggest a sort of tournament?' He suggested, following Jay up the side of the mountain. 'Last ninja standing is best?'

    'Two tournaments for two ninjas,' Kai said, smirking with the confidence of who would be the winner. 'I love it!'

    As the ninja pushed open the doors to the training compound, they were met with the sight of Nya—training hard, as evidenced by the flush on her skin. She dodged between planks of wood, leaping from pillar to pillar before landing on a spinning wheel of axes.

    The opening of the doors must have distracted her, as a moment later, Nya took an axe straight to the face.

    'Hey, Nya,' Jay said, nearly stumbling over the words. Pulling off his hood, he held out a hand to help her up. 'Beat your—your brother's speed record yet?'

    'I'm getting there,' she sighed, brushing the dust from her clothes. 'Heard about what happened in town. False alarm?'

    'Yep. Just Garmadon's kids, again.' Kai put a hand on Nya's shoulder, pointing a thumb at the equipment and saying, 'Uh, we're going to need the space. Sorry.'

    She shrugged him off, shooting him a look that wasn't cold but not particularly friendly, either. 'Fine,' she grunted, 'I was finishing up, anyways. Your record's going in the dust, Kai.'

    'Hey!'

    Meanwhile, Cole snatched a few helmets from the fencing cabinet. He tossed one to an unsuspecting Jay, breaking his focus on Nya with a helmet to the head. Once Cole was sure he wouldn't burst out laughing, he announced, 'Two tournaments, three matches each. Winners of the first two matches face off for a title. The armour's for our protection.' He twirled the Scythe of Quakes in his hands. 'Time to see what these babies can do.'

    Kai put on a helmet, brandishing the Dragon Sword of Fire as he called, 'Hey, Nya! Want to stay and watch me mop the floor with them?'

    Even from a distance, he could feel how she rolled her eyes. 'No, thanks. I'm going to visit Jamanakai Village.' Turning and walking through the monastery doors, Nya waved a hand in farewell as she laughed, 'Knock yourselves out.'

    As the doors crashed closed, Cole declared, 'Alright! Tournament Green, round one: Kai versus Jay!' The training devices retreated into the ground as the two ninjas bowed. 'Go!'

    Instantly the fight began. Kai and Jay hurled themselves at each other, the first impact sending Cole onto his back. Yet their lack of practice shone through. As Jay attempted to power the Nunchucks of Lightning, they overcharged—sending a painful shock through him.

    Kai saw the opening and leapt to meet it. Unfortunately, the blue ninja was not as paralyzed as he had thought, retaliating. Again and again, their attacks met and repelled each other. From the sidelines, Cole yawned.

    Suddenly, Kai leapt up to the side of the monastery walls, his sword giving off an unnatural glow.

    When Jay attempted to attack again, a healthy fireball flew from the Dragon Sword of Fire and knocked Jay to the ground.

    'Learn to do it on command?' Jay winced as Kai helped him to his feet.

    With a great laugh of victory, the red ninja gave him a gentle shove that almost toppled him. 'Yeah, we'll work on it after I get my new gi.'