|Molly & Donald |

Chapter IV

Chapter IV.
| Molly & Donald|

J

ane absently tapped the fingernail of her index finger against the hot mug she held in her hands as she gazed absently at the outside world.

It was a strange habit she had learned in the orphan centers. She used to watch people go on with their lives as if nothing had happened as she prayed each night for her mother to come back to her.

It was then that she realized that people didn't care about what happened to her. The world was not revolving around her. After all, there were thousands like her around it. Why would people take the time to stop for a moment in their perfect little life to care about her?

Yeah, what a stupid thought!

"I hope you're aware that this is all about you."

Jane let out a sudden gasp of surprise at Dick's intervention bursting her thought bubble. She immediately brought one of her hands to her chest at the sensation of her racing heart before giving him an aggravated look.

"For real? Seriously what's the problem with you people? Do you need a doorbell or something?"She exclaimed, agitated.

Dick let a slight crease between his eyebrows before leaving a smirk on his lips."Did I scare you?"

"Nah, I just have a few minor arrhythmia issues." Jane replied sarcastically before resuming seriously."No but what do you think? Duh!"

"Have you always overreacted in such a way?" He asked sincerely curious.

Jane pursed her lips in a clearly not amused scowl before rolling her eyes as she turned back to the large picture window.

Dick frowned this time as he stepped forward alongside the strangely concerned brunette."Is everything okay?"

"I don't know. Are you ?"

Dick let a snort this time as he shook his head."Rachel is right. You never answer the questions that are asked of you."

"I'm fine." Drooled Jane rolling her eyes before taking a sip of her coffee.

Dick cast a silent sideways glance at the tall brunette next to him before crossing his arms over his chest as he struggled to understand what she was watching so intently.

He used to understand the people around him. They were simple but it was different with Jane. She had a changing personality. So much so that Dick thought it was all a facade. A defense mechanism to preserve herself. And that he knew some things about. He had drifted away from everyone who had been important to him. Besides, he was thinking of doing the same with Rachel.

Jane took a breath as she straightened her shoulders before turning her head to gaze at Dick's profile in curiosity."You plan to leave her here."

"What? It's-"