chapter 1.

her
"goodbye papá! I'll be back later mamá!" you called, kissing the framed picture of your late father sitting on a table on your way out the door.

it was getting late. the sun almost fully set as only a few streaks of orange, and pinks painted the clouds. giddily jumping through the tired towns people as you greeted them, you made your way to a narrow path intertwining with the trees of the forest. with the moonlight just barely shining through the thick oak trees, it would have been much too dark if it wasn't for the warmly lit lantern you carried.

you sprinted the rest of the short track, slowing down as the shadow of a tall tree rested upon you. you smiled, fingers brushing against the drooping branches. you climbed a ladder, planks nailed into the trunk of the tree to step on, and hauling yourself onto the wide platform at the top. you kicked off your flats as you ducted into the small house, and placed them to the side. picking up a book off the floor, you dropped, and nuzzled into the many blankets, and throw pillows that littered the ground. you settled the lantern to the ground, and reached for the switch to the fairy lights strewn across the ceiling. they glimmered with warmth, lighting up the one room graciously.

just as you began to settle into your 'nest', a scrambling noise below alerted you. the sound of crunching leaves, and snapping branches sounded as you slowly got rose to your knees. it seemed as if whatever was down there was getting closer, and closer. stopping just at the bottom of the ladder outside before beginning to climb it steadily. your eyes widened in fright, looking around for something to protect yourself with in case it was some sort of beast. your shoes came into view, deciding they were the best choice for now, you grabbed one. quietly as you could, you tip-toes across the floor boards before hiding behind the wall next to the open door, waiting patiently with your breath held back. finally, you heard it pull itself up to the platform from the last step, and peeked around the corner.

in front of you stood the silhouette of a wide monster with a floofy, and hairy head, and lengthy arms, and legs. with a held back screech, you chucked the shoe towards the beast, barely missing its head as it ducked. though, as it stepped back, it's foot landed unevenly at the edge of the platform, making it fall back dramatically. it gasped, and you scurried towards the ledge to see it fall.

however, you came face to face with—not quite a monster—but a boy with curly brown hair, and tan skin holding onto a branch for dear life with one hand. his physical appearance only lasted a second before suddenly you were staring right back at yourself. with another scream, you scurried back against the exterior wall of the treehouse in fear, only hearing a low 'thump' below in return.

taking in a deep breath of confidence, you hesitantly climbed down to the dirt, and grass. noticing a slight rustling of the bushes right next to the trunk of the tall oak. you peeked through the leaves, sifting the branches away with one hand to reveal the same face of the boy before. his curls, parted at the side frames his face neatly even noting the fact that twigs, and leaves from the bush poked out of his hair.

"sooo," he drawn out, capturing your attention once more, "are you gonna help me out? seeing as you practically pushed me out of a tree?"

you snickered lightly, rolling your eyes, and bringing him up to his feet by his arm.

"you sir, are trespassing on my land. who are you?" your brow raised, chin tilted up as if you mock looking down on him.

"your land? this is the land of encanto, there is no such thing as 'private property'" the boy dictated.

you huffed, flicking your wrist in dismissal, heading towards the swing with your back turned.

"well, either way this is my secret place, and i don't like people intruding" he followed you as you sat down on the wooden swing, grasping the rope in his palm, and spinning you towards him.

"a little girl, and her treehouse then?" he rived on smugly.

"i've been coming here since i was a 'little girl' for peace, and quiet. but it seems i won't be getting such luxury tonight with a follonero like you around," you rolled your eyes, pushing him away. you wandered across the grass, seeing as your shoe had flew off the treehouse when you attempted to hit the 'monster', you decided it would be best to search for it. surprisingly, the boy was silent for a few seconds, though you could hear the light pitter-patter of his feet as he wandered after you.

"what are you doing?" he questioned, eyebrows furrowed.

"if it isn't already obvious," you began, lifting your one foot to show it bare, "i'm missing a shoe, so I'm looking for it. the real question is, what are you doing? you look like a lost puppy," you teased.

he scoffed, rolling his eyes, "curious, besides i know my way around fine," the boy declared.

"prove it."

he raised a brow in confusion.

"waltz back home on your own if you aren't lost," you continued.

"fine," he hummed, turning to the path back to town. he left without a bid farewell making you grin.

"pendejo," you mumbled. humming in delight at the fact you had gotten the boy to leave. though, instantly turning grim at the fact you had not yet found your missing shoe. perhaps a small animal had already scurried away with it while you had been distracted. With a grumble, you cleaned up the treehouse from the items you had brought that evening, and took track back home on the same path the boy had disappeared to.

please correct me if i use any spanish words incorrectly throughout this book, i get them off of google haha