Chapter 1- The Past Life

YEARS LATER

YEARS LATER

My ex-wife, Valentina Blackstone, and I were divorced six years ago. I quickly relocated to New York to push forward with my business career, which helped me establish my own globally successful businesses.I left Valentina for a full month until the day she gave birth to my child when I quickly discovered that she had been having an extramarital affair.

Of course I was there. No matter how enraged and humiliated I was that month. I continued to attend because my mother did not train me to be the kind of person who abandons their child because of what the other parent did.

Although Valentina apologised when she gave birth to my child, this was not the first time she had behaved in this way.

And what hurts the most is that despite everything, I still adore her.

My adorable infant Ophelia will be coming to see me today.

We have an understanding that every year, since I live in New York and Valentina lives in Los Angeles, she will have Ophelia for a year and I will have her for a year.

I'm currently waiting for Ophelia at the airport. I took a quick look at my watch and saw that they were fifteen minutes late.

"Where the fuck are they?" I muttered to myself.

I was ready to contact Valentina when I saw her. She still has the same appearance as I recall, but she has blackened her hair.

I suddenly realise that the desire I experienced for her six years ago before was no longer there.

I mean, I still love her, but when I contemplate what she did, I feel as if I don't, as if it's all in my head.

I turned my attention to Ophelia. I grinned at the adorable infant who is holding Valentina's hand.

Ophelia suddenly noticed me and ran in my direction while grinning broadly.

"Daddy, I miss you," she said as she gave me a hug. She remarked while beaming at me. I gave her a cheek kiss and added, "I miss you too, mi amore" which caused her to smile.

I caught Valentina's attention as she was smiling and had her hands in the back pocket of her trousers, but I quickly stopped as I caught her sight.

I continued making eye contact for some reason. The butterflies and sparks that had been present before had disappeared as I kept my eyes fixed on her.

I had the impression that I was simply exchanging glances with a distant acquaintance. a stranger, perhaps.

Perhaps I don't love her. I considered. She was late, so I asked her after breaking our eye contact.

"Why did you two arrive so late?" Before val could respond, ophelia spoke. "Mommy was fighting with the security guy."

I looked at Ophelia and turned my head just a little toward Valentina.

"Fighting huh?"

"I'll explain everything to you, but I have to go, or else my plane will take off but all I can say is that the security guy apparently completely thought "candy" she used her fingers- was in Ophelia's suitcase, but it turned out to be a real candy"

Although I really wanted to trust what she is saying,but I found it difficult. "Ok?" I said, trying to give her the impression that I didn't want to talk about this right now and that she should explain what occurred later. Before bidding ophelia farewell, she gave her a forehead kiss.

We locked eyes but truly I can tell she's trying to say something else but she said "bye" I didn't reply but I nodded my head and focused on Ophelia.

Soon later, she was out of our sight. I and Ophelia were already heading to my car.