Chapter 44

"No," I whispered to Hermione as she took my shoulders, "I'm not going in."

We had been standing outside of the great hall for 10 minutes, arguing.

"Y/n, you can't avoid it forever." She muttered back.

"Just let me avoid it for a little bit longer." I pouted.

"No." She said firmly, "You haven't gone to dinner in a week."

"Trust me," I crossed my arms, "I have my reasons."

"Well, whatever they are, you need to get over it."

I stopped, sighing deeply.

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I-", I started, "Because."

"C'mon." She groaned, "Please?"

I stood there, looking at her.

"Fine," I groaned.

She smiled brightly, pulling me into the hall.

I sighed, sitting next to Harry. He smiled at me before continuing his conversation with Ron.

I picked at my food, ignoring the feeling of being watched.

"You're able to go to DA tonight, right?" Hermione asked, turning back to me.

"Yup," I smiled, "I had my last detention last night."

"Good," She nodded.

Harry leaned over to whisper in my ear, "Come get me when you get out, alright?"

I nodded, giving him a small smile.

I looked past him, making eye contact with Dumbledore.

He stared at me, just like he did in his office. A wave of dread washed over me. He didn't look away, looking deep inside my mind as if he was looking for something.

"Hey," Harry said, putting his hand over mine, "Are you alright?"

I looked over at him, forcing a smile, "Yeah, I'm fine." I gave his hand a squeeze.

"I think I'd better go." I said, clearing my throat.

"You barely ate." Ron pointed out, his face full of concern.

"Oh yeah," I shrugged, "I'm not very hungry."

"Are you sure you're alright?" He countered.

"I'm fine," I smiled, "Thanks though."

I stood up, "I'll see you guys tonight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was pulled into the room of requirements by Hermione. We went to our usual corner and immediately started to work on our patronuses.

"Are you going to tell me what is going on?" She asked as she pulled out her wand.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I twirled my wand, trying to look productive.

"Oh, please," She scoffed, "Harry told me about how you shut him down, now you two are looking at each other like you're married with three kids."

"Ha. Ha." I rolled my eyes, "Expecto Patronum."

Nothing but a sliver of silver.

"I'm not wrong," She chuckled, "Something is totally going on between you guys."

"No," I said firmly, smiling slightly, "We're just friends."

I closed my eyes, "Expecto Patronum." 

"Hey, you almost got it this time." She smiled, "I almost saw something."

Harry came over to us.

"You have to focus on something that makes you happy. That truly fills you up with joy." He put a hand on my shoulder.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and tried to think of a time when I was truly happy. The first thing that popped up was me, sitting with Sirius on the hill, looking at the lake.

"Expecto Patronum." I opened my eyes to see my patronus dancing across the room.

"A horse?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"A threstral." Harry muttered in surprise.

My face lit up as I watched it prance around. Suddenly the ground rumbled.

Harry grabbed my hand tightly, interlacing our fingers. I caught my balance as the crashing stopped. I pulled him to the entrance, moving Creevey out of the way.

We peered into the hole in the wall, coming face to face with Umbridge.

"I'll make short work of this." She pointed her wand at the wall.

"Move back!" Harry shouted as he pulled me away from her. I grabbed Creevey by the arm, shielding him behind me as the wall crumbled.

"Get them." She commanded.

Percy walked forward, grabbing Harry roughly by the shoulders, ripping him away from me. I stepped forward, taking my wand out before Ron pulled me back, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Not now."