Chapter 25

I sat on Hermione's bed, reading a book while she read a book at the end of the bed.

As I finished the chapter, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in." Hermione called.

Remus opened the door softly.

"Y/n, can we talk to you downstairs?" He asked, popping his knuckles.

"Sure." I shrugged, setting down my book, "I'll see you later, Mione."

I followed Remus downstairs and into the dining room. I sat down as the order watched me.

"Is everything ok?" I leaned forward.

"There was a death eater attack in Lisburn." My head snapped over in Sirius's direction, "15 muggles, dead. 8 wizards."

"Do you recognise anyone on this list?" Remus asked, handing me a piece of paper.

I looked over it and my heart sunk.

Cynthia Walsh
Randall Walsh
Nicholas Walsh
Hannah Walsh
Charlotte Walsh

"The Walsh family, they're my neighbours." I said sadly. "I've been babysitting those kids for 5 years."

"Thank Merlin we got you out in time." Molly smiled sadly.

"Yeah." I said, sliding the paper away from me. There was a lump in my throat and I tried to swallow it down, staring straight ahead.

"Um," I cleared my throat, "I think I'm going to go upstairs, clear my head a bit."

Remus nodded his head and I wandered back to my room.

I laid down on my bed, looking at the ceiling. Tears fell from the corners of my eyes, although I didn't make a sound and my lip didn't even quiver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to commotion in Hermione's room. There was shouting. I rushed in, the sleepiness leaving me immediately.

Harry was standing there in front of Hermione and Ron and he had clearly been yelling.

"Harry!" I gasped, not knowing that he was coming. "When did you get here?"

"Y/n, I didn't know you were here." He said with a small smile, although I could tell that he was pissed.

"Yeah, is everything alright?" My face full of concern, "I could've sworn I heard screaming."

"No," Harry shook his head, "No, everything's ok."

I nodded slowly, looking past him to Hermione. She raised her eyebrows and I knew that everything was not ok. I cocked my head slightly, sighing.

"Um, I just needed to talk to Hermione." I beckoned, the pain of earlier today returning.

"Yeah, of course."

She followed me out the door and I sat on the stairs with my hands in my hair.

"There was a death eater attack in my neighbourhood last night." I sighed.

"Oh my God." Hermione put a hand up to her mouth.

"1 hour after I left." I stared down the dark stair case. "The family that lived next to me died."

I breathed out shakily.

"They had a one year old and two seven year olds." More and more tears started falling down my face. "I've been babysitting them since they were two years old."

She put an arm around me, comforting me just like the Yule ball.

I took a deep breath, realising something awful.

"If I was still there, I would be dead."