ᑕᕼᗩᑭTEᖇ 2: What kind of beat did I miss?

I could push every goal back...

֍---------۞-☬-۞---------֎
"You ever wonder why they thought three children could take down two houses of fully-grown most-likely drunkards?"

Kaotic pitched this question to his teammates as they walked through a dark field. The yellow-green grass half as tall as their shins. He walked backwards when he talked with them, or rather talked at them.

"Like, this is some pretty extreme stuff for an assessment. The school must have a lot of faith that we won't get ourselves killed. I don't know why they would though. We have been trained 0%. Not to mention these guys probably use multiple pendants, but because people like us, or should I say people like you two, are only allowed to use one at a time because we ⁽ʸᵒᵘ⁾ care about our ⁽ʸᵒᵘʳ⁾ sanity."

Clarrise growled as she continued to ignore him. On any other day, he would have been a fun person to talk with. At any other time he would have been a fun person to talk with. But right now, she wanted to mentally check their plan as much as possible to make sure it had no problems. And Kaotic messing with her nerves by reciting what she already knew, accounted for, and avoiding thinking about, wasn't helping her.

She wanted to spend so many more hours, days- Clarisse wanted to spend years recounting that plan, but she couldn't, because their target was leaving soon. Each group had as much time as their target allowed. After the target changed locations, they would have no way of knowing where they'd be.

"Kaotic." Drake addressed him in response to Clarrise's clear annoyance.

"Hm?"

"Don't talk."

"Y'all were making me uncomfortable. C was popping vessels, you were being your stoic self, and I was bored! I was just tryna' lighten the mood."

"You're not doing well." Drake kept his eyes forward, voice monotone and even a bit genuinely informative.

"I was just wondering why they thought this would be a good idea. Half of the applicants'll die."

Kaotic turned around and fell into step beyween Clarisse and Drake, no longer walking ahead of them as he now had at least their partial attention.

Clarisse decided to humor him. He'd keep talking even if she didn't.

"They had our parents already sign waivers for a reason. Apparently, the mindset for the noble's course is "If you die, you weren't skilled enough to be accepted anyway." They don't want to waste spots on kids who can afford the noble's course but don't actually have any natural talent, or prior training, or adaptivity, or anything that would make having them worth it. They don't have any confidence in us. They just want to train the children that are actually worth something." Clarisse input.

"Well, okay then." Kaotic jumped forward and slung an arm each over his taller teammates' shoulders, causing all three to stumble.

"Let's show them that we're the children actually worth something."

------------------------------------------------------------------

As the target cabin came into view, rais' footsteps unconsciously became lighter. The cabin was accompanied by closely-packed trees that loomed near it. As soon as the trees were noticed, Clarisse merged them into the escape plan. She retconned their escape method, instructing Drake to beeline them over the trees as soon as they left the cabin.

They hoped to disappear before anyone was given a chance to notice them.

They approached the cabin, moving as quickly as undetection allowed. There was a low chance there were any guards, but caution is always nice.