Hope and Florence watch everything as if they were watching a TV soap opera.

— Oh, of course, she is very happy! I roll my eyes.

— How witty! Sharon smiles. “Steve, she's so cute!
I hope we are good friends!

- Of course. Steve looks from me to Sharon in a daze.

“I was telling her that we've been dating for a few long years…

“Well, it's been a long time…” Steve says slowly.

- Sure. But we are still friends! And Natasha, if you want to know everything about Steve, you can count on me! We're pretty close… By the way, I'm close to the whole Rogers family, I'd love to help you introduce yourself to the
local society and in everything that implies being a Rogers.

She's kidding, isn't she?

“I'm sure it will be difficult for you being so… ordinary.

I take a deep breath, ready to give a good answer since she can't punch her plastic-filled face.

— Ah, the band is playing again, — Florence chimes in, possibly noticing the tempers starting to pick up. - Let's Dance!

— I love this song, dance with me, Steve. “Sharon pulls him into the middle of the track. "I'm sure Natasha won't mind lending you a little bit, will she?"

"Of course not," I mutter. - Your cow! — complete softly as they walk away.

I watch them on the floor and they look perfect together.

A perfect couple. No wonder the Rogers were so insistent on Steve asking her to marry him.

I suddenly feel very tired of it all. All that meaningless farce. Tired of deceiving myself, thinking I can belong to that family, that man.

I walk out of the house and, ignoring the snow falling in the garden, sit on a bench and pick up my cell phone.

Grandma answers after a few calls.

- Hi Grandma.

"Natasha, dear!" Good to hear you! How is your Christmas?

- I wanted to be there with you. I try to contain the urge to cry.

'I very much doubt it. your mother burned the footru and almost set the house on fire. We're eating pizza.

I laugh, sniffling.

“Still, they're my family. It's where I belong.

“What's going on, dear? Her voice is sad. Is she not happy to be at her fiance's house?

I swallow the truth that's on the tip of my tongue. I want to tell you that my presence at Steve's house is nothing more than a bad joke orchestrated by him.

"Natasha?" I look up and Steve is walking towards me.

“Grandma, I need to hang up. Tomorrow I'll call again, okay?

'Of course, go stay with your fiancé.

I hang up and Steve is closer now.

"What the fuck are you doing out here?" It's freezing! He takes off his jacket and drapes it over my shoulders.

"I was talking to my grandmother."

"Couldn't you call from inside?"

'I needed some air and I didn't think you'd notice I left, as I was having so much fun with your ex-girlfriend. In fact, she is beautiful.
I don't understand why I didn't want to be with her!