"You will do no such thing," he has stopped walking now and looks down at me with a fire behind his eyes. "You will cooperate if David finds a way to access the third amplifier's energy."

        "It is my power. Mal chose me to claim it, not you."

        I inhale sharply as he closes the distance between us, trapping me between him and the wall. "We are connected, Alina. This means that my power is yours and yours is mine whether you like it or not."

"What do you want with more power?" I ask. "You are already one of the most powerful Grisha in all of Ravka."

"That isn't enough!" he yells erratically, making me jolt back. "I need all of it!"

        I start to understand just how consumed with power he's become. I push down my fear and reach to cup his face in my hands. His jaw tenses before he leans into my palms. "You have had the idea in your head that you need more power for so long that it has infected your brain, leaving you to believe that what you have now isn't enough. You have me. You have Ravka. You have Grisha and soldiers at your fingertips, yet you seek more." I search his eyes for understanding. His cool grey irises never leave mine. "Let this be enough."

        He sighs and runs a finger through my hair. "You may very well make me a better man one day, Alina."

        I smile and he traces the lines of my face. The sweet moment does not last long, however. The Darkling's expression turns sour. "But not today," he says. My smile fades into a look of confusion. Aleksander takes hold of my hand and pulls me back to our room. "David will arrive within the week, and when he does, he will find a way to bind the third amplifier as he did the Stag's collar."

"Aleksander, do not do this," I beg. He shoves me into the dark room and adds, "you will stay here until you learn to abide by my demands and stop fighting me on the matter." I run to the exit, but the Darkling slams the door in my face. A click follows, indicating that he locked me inside.

A throaty groan escapes me and my body slides down the wall in defeat. Making him a better man will be much harder than I thought. Every time I think he may be salvageable, he becomes worse than before. If David finds a way to access and bind the third amplifier to Aleksander, there may be no saving him from being consumed with greed.

***

        Three days of sitting in our bedroom doing nothing. I am sick of it. I need new scenery. I know every piece of furniture, crack in the ceiling, and the number of flooring tiles like the back of my hand.

        The monotony is broken up by the occasional servant that comes in with a tray of food. I attempt to make conversation with the girls, but they seem frightened to talk with me. Either they fear me or the Darkling told them not to speak with me. I would believe both.

        I eat enough food to make it seem like I am eating. I push the potatoes around the plate and eat a few slices of herring while holding my nose to cover up the horrible taste.

        That night, hours after dinner, the Darkling comes in looking more exhausted than usual. He examines the half-eaten food resting on the end table. He sighs and perches on the bed next to me.

        "I know you have not been eating as well as you should. You look awful."

        "Thanks," I respond flatly. 

        "Your appetite would grow if you summoned." He takes my hands gently, rubbing circles into my palm with his thumbs. "Please use your power. It will make you feel better."