"I'm sorry..." Aya whisper – she was afraid of speaking louder, as is if she did, he would just walk away.

"Whatever." He scoffed.

Tears came to the corners of his eyes and immediately he looked away, sniffing once while the back of his hand wiped away the wet sensation in his eyes. He knew Aya could see his pain, and he could freely show it to her, but he couldn't allow himself to appear so weak. Because if he showed her his pain, he would probably break down into thousands of pieces.

"It's his fault he got himself killed." Ayato was resentful of his father – because of his kind nature.

"He might have done it to protect you and your sister." Ayato scoffed at her words. "Believe me I would know. My mother gave her life so I can have mine."

He looked at her once again and realized – more like remembered – that the two of them are so much alike in many ways. But Aya had it rougher and yet she didn't end up resentful as he did. She was different that the other ghouls that have lost everything. It was as if humanity was stitched to her heart and she had no other choice but accept it. She could be cruel in the most unpredictable ways – and that made her dangerous. He could never know if she will address the problem with bloodshed or a smile. Sometimes, there is both.

Suddenly, the ground shook – the walls shook too and Aya thought it was earthquake. But Ayato seemed irritated, clicking with his tongue as it was something that had happened before. It was a light shaking, just something in the walls that made vibrations. Aya looked at Ayato, demanding an answer with her eyes.

"Is that Eyepatch guy. He ate too much ghouls and it started to show." Ayato answered nonchalantly. "He's been screaming since we got here."

Sigh came to Aya's lips. "I'll take care of it."

Too much noise was bad for them if they wish to stay incognito in their new hideout. Aya appeared calm from the outside, but from inside she was worrying about Ken's state. She was afraid of what she'll see once she comes to him. Aya navigated through the hallways until she found herself in the long room where Ken stays. She approached with quiet footsteps.

Aggressive breathing was leaving his mouth. He was on his knees, his back to hers; showing her the two long centipede tails that extended through the room towards her. The tails twitched as he tried to fight the change within his body. His back rose aggressively – matching his breathing. Incomplete Kakuja – the condition that happens when a ghoul absorbs a lot of Rc cells through cannibalism. The increase of its concentration leads to a mutation which triggers a new kagune.

The only fear Aya had for Ken was that he may lose his mind. Form Aya's experience, there are those who could not control the power of Kakuja, and as they attempt to fight it, they tend to lose their minds. And she didn't know it what kind of state of mind Ken was at the moment – accepting it, or rejecting it. It was normal for incomplete kakujas to have little to no control over their forms.

"Ken?"

After so much observation, she decided to her presence be known. Ken suddenly turned, like a wolf who just got interrupted during his meal. His eyes were white and mad. Aggressive growl left his teeth and without a sigh, he rushed at Aya. Her eyes wide with shock, but quickly that shock was replaced with determination. He came at her, attacking her with his newly formed kagune without any control of his actions.

No! Not Aya! He screamed at himself within his mind – fully aware of that person who was dodging his attacks. And then there was the other side of him: Eat her! Eat her! Eat her! – it screamed at him to devour her sweet flesh. He couldn't control the monster within him that was crawling at his brain. His attacks begun to be sloppy and uncoordinated. Aya knew he was fighting the change in his mind and she tried to help him. With one strike, Aya utilized a tail of her kagune and swing it into his stomach – piercing through him.