CHAPTER- 5

Me? On the newspaper?

-" what.....how....." I staggered. " Who knew running into some stupid guys will make my name end up in newspaper"

-" So, my daughter is on the newspaper " Dad said proudly and patted my back. I winced.

-" Dad, again forget that I'm injured, your-got-her-name-on-the-newspaper daughter will not control her instincts."

Dad flinched playfully.

My dad is a very touchy-feely person unlike me or mom. Whereas, I even tend to bend people's arms on sudden touch on instinct. And I'm not very good at controlling that. No one wants me out of control.

After that, dad had bragged for more than half an hour about how much he is proud of me and how I must have gotten my bravery from him (in your dream dad). I will spare you boredom and Myself embarrassment by not going to details. I must say I can't. I shot of zoned out when he started his all so famous I-am-your-Dad-that's why-you-are-so-good lecture. Usually when dad does that, it's like mum's life's duty to interrupt him with sarcastic comments. But those didn't come, which lengthened dad's lecture a bit more. At last when I thought it's near to end, I said "mum won't you say anything?" Her eyebrows were knitted together, and her gaze was unfocused. Maybe she zoned out too?

-" This can't be good" mom said after a long pause.

-" Why? I know Suda, you don't like publicity" Dad said " But don't you think Nyssa's bravery is going to inspire other girls to be brave and fight for their own safety?"

Mom simply shook her head " Still, I have a bad feeling about it."

As if on the cue, the land phone rang. Mom went to receive it.

-" Yes . . . . . . . No . . . . . . I won't allow . . . . . . She is injured . . . . . . . No, sorry" mom cut the line and pinched the bridge of her nose.

-" Who?" I asked. What I heard from mom's words on phone, it was about me. But what?

-" Reporters" mom said and shot dad an this-is-what-I-feared look. But he ignored her. " Why didn't you allow?"

Now it was mom's turn to ignore him. She came and sat beside me, carefully placing a hand on my shoulder. "They want to take your interview. They want to make a bigger story on you. I don't think that would be very good. What do you think?"

-" I agree mom" I said, but before I could say anything else, the phone rang again. Again a reporter. Then again. Every fifteen minute, a call from various reporters came. When mom finished refusing the reporter for the fifth time her cell phone rang.

-" Is the whole day going to pass this way?" Mom groaned, as dad handed her the mobile, then she frowned. "Damini?"

-" Damini aunty? Why?"

-" Let's see." Mom said as she received the call, and put it on speaker.

-" Hello!" The voice of Damini aunty rang out.

-" Hello! Everything alright?" Mom asked.

-" Well, yes. Just the reporters are giving a headache. Are you getting calls too?"

-" Yeah. But I told them no."

-" Same here. In fact Oli is barely talking, much less give an interview. "

-" Is she alright?" Mom asked. There was silence for sometime, then Damini aunty spoke " I guess, the girls should talk a bit. This incident reminds her of. . . . ." She stopped "Anyway, how's Nyssa?"

-" 'Says she's fine." Mom assured " Want to talk?"

-" Not now Suda-didi, I just called to check on Nyssa and to know what to do with these reporters "