I sigh heavily and eventually look up at her. Noticing how her dark eyes flick between mine, glistening against the sunlight, her expression confused and desperate for answers.

"I needed time away," I say bluntly as I throw my arms over my chest.

Her mouth hangs open as she recoils her head. "And you didn't think to tell me?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, knowing full well that it would push her over the edge. "I can do what I want, I am a grown woman Nella."

"Yes," she states instantly. "But we're friends, I thought you'd gone off by yourself to see your mother without backup."

"We're barely friends," I scoff as I avert my gaze.

I was fully aware that I was being a bitch for no reason but right now the thought of someone caring for me made me want to vomit. No one cares about the crazy psycho. No one.

"We're barely friends?" She repeats, her voice cracking. "God, what has happened to you Cleo?"

"I can't make friends Nella," I ground out to her, our eyes meeting again. "People don't like me with this fucking curse, I'm just a mistake to everyone."

"After everything we've been through," she raises a hand to wipe her eyes, not wanting to show the tears that fall. "After everything we've done for you."

My heart stung in my chest. Fuck, she was crying because of me.

I close my eyes in defeat. I was no good for this world, no good for anyone. I just make people upset, angry and confused.

"You shouldn't care about me Nella," I breathe out slowly. "Don't waste your breath on me."

Nella shakes her head and lunges forward, wrapping her arms around me instantly. She sobs into my shoulder and I stand for a second, confused and bubbling with inner anger from the skin contact. But I push this to the back of my mind, she's trying to be nice.

"I already do care for you, you silly woman. We all do. We value you here, even if you struggle to accept. it" Nella speaks confidently before pulling away and holding my shoulders at arms length.

"I find that hard to believe," I say before chewing down on my bottom lip.

Nella blinks back at me and shakes her head. "We went looking for you because we had no idea where you went."

My heart hurt even more now, feelings of guilt and selfishness riding up inside my stomach and suffocating my mind. I never thought in a million years they'd go looking for me, I was convinced they would think I had done them a favour. Believing that I had severely outstayed my welcome and they didn't know how to tell me to leave.

"I-I didn't mean to worry anyone," I force out. "I just couldn't bear another second in this house, in my room. I needed to be by myself."

"Next time just tell me," her lips frown. "Please. I won't force you to stay or tell you not to go. We just wanted to know that you were safe and haven't made a stupid decision."

"Okay," I say instantly. "I'm sorry."

Nella's face softens at my apology, it was sincere and I know that she felt it. Apologising isn't easy for me, not when the curse forces needles into your throat before you can say it. I wasn't in the mood for a disagreement, I wanted nothing more than to wash and sleep in a bed with covers. My body needed recovery as did my mind.

"I'm gonna go shower," I declare.

Nella nods back at me. "Okay well I'll be in the living room with Arlo."

I give her a small smile and take off through the house, focusing on getting to the bathroom and nothing more. Luckily I didn't cross paths with anyone on the way, my eyes were looking directly in front of me, tunnel vision.