Chapter 8: Whispers in the Dark

Start from the beginning

Olesya pursed her lips. "The Free Kingdom of Tulunsk lies to the north of us—more a series of clans than a kingdom really. Some of their customs are barbaric. The weak babies are taken into the woods and left to die. And they have a bizarre custom of choosing their ruler through popular vote."

"How'd she get elected?" Drazan asked.

"She didn't," said Olesya. "Only the sons and daughters of the current leader can get elected. As they grow up, the children try to impress the people with what they manage to accomplish."

"So she's doing all this to convince her people that they should elect her?"

"Probably." Olesya raised her eyes skyward. "I could write to her mother—the current queen—but knowing how their elections work, she probably won't interfere. I suppose we should come up with a plan, before our people start losing digits."

"She won't really take fingers," said Drazan doubtfully.

Olesya snorted. "Never underestimate a teenager—especially when said teenager believes it's their duty to save the world."

~*~

The news of Princess Agrafena's visit spread like wildfire. By noon, it was all anyone could talk about, with some exceptions; the azdaja was too busy catching mice to care, and Yefim's idea of talking was mostly limited to grunts.

Some of the Riders—those who had family in Dalnushka—were particularly upset by the news. But it was Kir who seemed the most affected of them all. He emerged from the tunnels where he had been helping clear rock and made a beeline for Olesya.

"We have to save them!" His voice was impassioned; he looked close to tears. "We must agree to as many of their terms as we can!"

Jane, who was eating lunch a short distance away, watched Olesya set down her map and frown at him.

"Call her back," said Kir. "I wish to bargain with her!"

"She'll be back tomorrow," said Olesya, unruffled. "Mark my words."

But Kir wouldn't leave until Olesya had agreed to send a Rider to the princess with a personal message.

Jane knew—or at least, she suspected—that Kir's guilt would not let him rest until the people were brought to safety. She watched uneasily as Kir headed back to the tunnels, where the mages were still trying to clear a path to the protection spells guarding Dalnushka. At least the prince no longer looked quite as miserable as before. Nevertheless, Jane worried, and when the azdaja returned from catching mice, Jane asked her to follow Kir back to the tunnels again to keep watch.

In the excitement of Agrafena's arrival, Jane had almost forgotten about the pile of dead battle mages in the north tower. It was only when Alexei came to fetch her from the temple that she remembered her assigned task for the day. As she followed Alexei guiltily back toward the tower, she remembered the question that she'd wanted to ask earlier, before she was distracted by the runes and Agrafena's arrival.

"Alexei," she said. "That thing you did before, back in the tower, where you saw the traces of magic floating around the dead mages. Could I learn to do that?"

He shook his head. "I can see only see magic because I have Magesight. It's pretty rare."

"But you could show me what you see with your Magesight, like you showed Drazan?"

"Oh yes. That part is easy. D'you want me to show you now?"

"Not yet," said Jane, thinking of Kir. "Tonight."

Despite Drazan's efforts, they were unable to figure out what the Kanachskiy sorcerers had wanted with the dead Somitan battle-mages, or even if the Kanachskiy were responsible for piling the dead mages in the north tower at all. They spent the next few hours cataloguing and transporting the corpses back down the steps to be burned. By the time evening arrived, Jane would have been happy if she'd never had to do another levitation spell again.