Straight-A student Jane Huang cares only about acing her classes and getting into college... until a terrifying encounter with an otherworldly monster plunges her into the mysterious world of Mir. To return to the home she loves, Jane must become an 'avtorka' - one with the gods-given power to write in Mir's Book of Truths and change reality. A brutal series of tests awaits her, each designed by the gods to target her weaknesses and shatter her resolve.
Helping her train for her godstests is Nikolay, a ruthless sorcerer-cum-battlemage whose Oath to protect his dying ruler is slowly killing him. Nikolay needs Jane to break his Oath - or so Jane thinks - and despite their mutual emnity, she agrees to help him. But as Jane endures her godstests, she is drawn into a web of magic, mystery, and deceit that forces her to question Nikolay's motives, the godstests, and the very nature of reality itself.
- Chapter 1: In the beginning
- Chapter 2: Monsters and magic
- Chapter 3: Know thy enemy
- Chapter 4: Evil sorcerers and godly visitations
- Chapter 5: Ardent princes and ailing tsars
- Chapter 6: Uncomfortable Requests and Unwilling Teachers
- Interlude I: Boredom
- Chapter 7: Magic lessons
- Chapter 8: Rules of succession
- Chapter 9: Rooftop Escapades
- Chapter 10: Illusions of romance
- Chapter 11: Riddles, Dragon Edition
- Chapter 12: Unwanted Offerings