CHAPTER 9

In the first week of the holidays, Katy and I were sitting in her living room and making fun of a dumb horse movie when Deb came into the room looking troubled.

“Hon, turn that off for a sec. I need to talk to you.”

Katy rolled her eyes but pressed pause as Deb tapped the cordless phone against her palm.

“Your grandmother’s had a fall, and she’s in hospital.”

Katy paled. “Oh no. Is she okay?”

“She’ll be fine, but she’s broken her ankle and I’ll need to go and look after her for a bit.”

I watched Katy’s face register the news. “How long for?”

“A week. Maybe two.”

Katy’s eyes went wide. “But what about Pukahu? It’s next weekend, and it’s the first Grand Prix of the season!”

Deb frowned. “I know, but I can’t help that. You’ll just have to skip it this year. I’ll be home in time for Feilding at the end of the month.”

“But…” Katy looked distraught, then her face lit up again. “What if I get a ride with the Fitzherberts? They’ll be going for sure, and they might let me squash Lucas and Moll onto the truck. Or they could drive our truck, Bradley has his HT license now. Please Mum!”

But Deb was shaking her head. “I’m not letting that boy drive our truck. No, Katy. It’s one show, it’s not the end of the world.”

Her voice was resolute, and even Katy knew when she was beaten. She slumped back against the couch cushions and scowled at her mother.

“You could come to Wanganui with me,” Deb offered, then smiled at the horrified look on Katy’s face. “Or you can stay here and mind the ponies, but you’re not staying on your own.”

Katy grabbed my arm, squeezing it tight. “AJ will stay with me! She’s very responsible.”

“I was thinking more like asking Yvette to come and stay. Make sure you eat proper meals, and…”

“Oh my God, Mum,” Katy interrupted. “We’re not ten years old, we know how to feed ourselves. And the ponies, which is what you’re really worried about. Don’t stress. I’ll forgive you for not taking me to Pukahu if you let AJ stay here.”

“Well, if it’s okay with her parents,” Deb said, and Katy let out a sigh of relief. “And if she wants to, of course,” she added as an afterthought.

They both looked at me, and I nodded. “I’d love to, and I’m sure it’ll be fine. My parents are expecting me to be here most of the holidays anyway. They’ll be thrilled, honest.”

True to form, neither of my parents minded in the slightest. I think they were glad to have me out of the way for the week, and after a quick trip home to pack the things I’d need, they dropped me at the Pony Club paddock to tack up Squib and ride him over to Katy’s.

“We’re going on holiday!” I told my pony cheerfully as I tightened his girth.

I was about to mount up when I heard hoofbeats coming along the track, and Squib spun around to see who it was, almost flattening me against the fence.

“Oy!” I prodded him in the side with my knuckles, and he moved away from me, reluctantly at first, then more smoothly as I insisted. Maybe all that rope twirling really does have its uses, I thought to myself as I stepped around my pony to see Carrie trotting towards me on the placid Oscar, bouncing loosely in the saddle with a wide grin.