"Hey, it's not the end of the world..."

"Surprisingly, not for people like us. How the hell did we even get here?"

I sighed, looked around. "I ask myself that question every day."

"Did you tell him though? About everything? Mom and Dad?"

I swallowed, knowing it was something I would have to do soon, I had wanted to tell him about it the night I remembered, but we had been in a rough patch and he didn't respond to the voice mail I had left him.

"I will."

"Mi joya, you can't build a relationship with him if he doesn't even know who you are, where you come from."

"I know... I'm working on it... you know more than anyone what I went through after the fire, it wasn't easy for me."

He held my shoulders. "I do, just—be careful okay, I trust him, if you trust him, but I need you to be careful, the world of these people... these rich people, it isn't pretty."

I hugged him, relaxing in his safe arms... he may be my little brother, but he was way taller than I am, and if a stranger were to guess, they wouldn't know he was the younger sibling... there was a time I thought he began thinking he was older due to his overprotectiveness.

He broke away from the hug. "Now, let's go grill the Fiancé." He said.

I rolled my eyes as we both walked back to where we left Cade.

*****

The car ride back home was surprisingly, silent.

When we had gone back into where the main event was held, we met a silent Cade, staring lost at the painting that brought back unwanted memories for me. Though he had put on a smile, he had answered every of my brothers' questions squarely, and they had talked about art for a while, but I saw through that wall.

Not that it was pretense. It was just the fact that his spirit was totally gone from the whole scene. He smiled, but it never reached his eyes, his voice didn't hold any energy. He probably knew I cut on to his change of mood, because I had asked him if he was okay a couple of times. He would just kiss me, and tell me everything was completely fine.

But I knew better.

In the car, I stopped asking... instead, I looked out the window, my mind elsewhere.

I had to tell him.

Yes, my past wasn't pretty, and he might as well be disgusted by what I did... I am disgusted, and I don't think a day would come that I'd forgive myself; but—I couldn't deny that as much as I wished it didn't happen that way, my past was a part of me, and it is something that I have to live with, I liked it or I didn't.

But boy, was I scared of his reaction.

I just don't want him to hate me... he can't hate me; how could I even live with him hating me?

Would he even understand?

From what I've heard, he had a really lovely relationship with his parents. There's no way he'd understand... no way.

I sighed.

A few minutes of silence passed, and then he was pulling over at our beach house, turning off the engine.

I looked over at him, at the same time he looked my way.

"Wanna take a walk by the beach?" I asked him.

"Barefoot?"

I smiled. "Barefoot."

A few minutes later, we were walking side by side, the soothing wind igniting a cold that was gracefully sent back by the warmth of Cade's suit jacket.

Our bare feet met the ground as we made silent steps by the beach side, the waves crashing against each other, made the water jump from time to time... it was beautiful.

The silence only grew, and hell if it didn't make me feel more nervous.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him.

He looked over, down at me. "What?"

"Why you're in this mood."

"What mood?"

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about."

He looked away; his gaze set ahead. "I don't know what you're talking about."

I frowned, stopping.

He stopped too.

I took the pleasure of going to stand right in front of him, where he wouldn't be able to avoid my gaze. "Let's not do this."

"Do what?" he argued.

"Cade, we're past this... we're past keeping things from each other, we're past dying in silence... if you feel some type of way, then tell me."

"It's nothing." He told me, his tone simply dismissing the whole thing.

"It's not nothing if it has you acting this way."

He sighed, his fingers going through his hair, scattering it from its perfect form.

"Talk to me." I pressed.

He swallowed.

A moment passed, he turned away from me, facing the ocean.

"I went to Elroy a long time ago, I wanted some advice on how to deal with you." He finally said.

But his words had me confused.

"I wanted to take revenge... I pretended to care, I wanted you to feel what I felt when you left me. I wanted to hate you, so much... and I wanted you out of my life. So, I thought, why not make her fall in love with me... propose, and leave her standing alone at the altar."

"What?" My voice came out in a quiet whisper, his jacket refusing to shield the cold from attacking my skin.

He turned to face me. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Mabel."

_____

Vote and Comment ;)

I WANT TO KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS!!

WHAT IS HAPPENINGGG??! WHAT ON EARTH IS HAPPENING, CADE!

I can smell my writing mojo coming back!

We have just a few chapters left, and I still don't know what's in store for these two! But do let me know what you think!

Let your comments roll in, I need some writing juice! Lol!

Active comments lead to a quicker update, so... ya know what to do!