16

Caroline stayed awake the entire night, unable to get even an ounce of sleep as her mind was occupied by what happened between her and Max after the race. She completely forgot about the victory and all she can think about is the kiss and the guilt that followed after that.

She would be lying if she says that the kissing didn’t made her feel sparks but the guilt is outweighing the former feeling. Max has a girlfriend who has no idea what happened and is waiting for him to get home.

“It didn’t mean anything…” she muttered, trying to convince herself as she braced her pillow.

Unknown to her Max was also unable to sleep, thinking about her and the kiss. He knows he messed up, the look on her face when she ran out of his room keeps flashing in front of his eyes. All he knows is he needs to figure out the mess and fix it soon.

***

Caroline sat at the airport the next day, waiting to board the plane. Luckily she is not going to Monaco, instead she is going to New York to attend a fashion show and meet her dad.

Max looked for her as soon as he checked in. He is aware that she is not going to Monaco with him so he is hoping to find her before she leave for New York.

It didn’t take him much time to spot her. She was deep in thoughts.

“Care…” Max approached Caroline, stopping her train of thoughts

“Hey,” she smiled, as if nothing happened between them, which made Max feel a little relief yet confused. “Ready to head home?”

“Yeah,” he nodded as he sat next to her. “Listen…about yesterday. It was…”

“It was a mistake, I know,” she gave an assuring smile, making his heart skip a beat. “I know you were dealing with a lot of emotions and it just…happened,” she explained, unable to even mention the kiss. “But you don’t have to worry…I know it meant nothing to you or me.”

Max knows her too well to understand that those words were for her, trying to convince herself and also him.

“You really didn’t feel anything?” he asked, trying not to sound disappointed.

“No, I mean I was surprised, but other than that I didn’t feel anything,” she lied again. “Did you?”

“No..no,” he shook his head, trying to pretend he was relieved that there was no feelings from her side. “I am just…”

“Worried about Kelly?”

“Umm yeah,” he nodded.

Once again Caroline felt guilty.

“If you are worried that I am going to tell her about what happened between us than don’t be…I am not going to say anything to anyone,” she assured him. “It’s all upto you if you decide to tell her or not.”

Max nodded as he tried to hold himself back from telling Caroline his true thoughts and feelings.

“Hey..” she gave a small smile. “Don’t think too much. That kiss meant nothing and I am sure we both will forget about it soon.”

“You are right,” he gave a reluctant smile, wanting to scream how wrong she is and there is no way he is ever going to forget the kiss.

Both sat awkwardly for a few more minutes, not saying even a word of truth that is in their heart. When it was time for Caroline to board her plane she gave a hug to Max which lasted a little longer than usual, neither of them wanting to let go but reluctantly did at last.

“I will see you in Monaco,” Caroline waved him goodbye before she walked away.

She let out a shaky breath and her heart was beating fast. Part of her wanted to turn around and look back at Max, hoping he will be able to understand her unspoken words but the other part convinced her to keep walking as it is the best decision.

Max stood there holding his breath, hoping Caroline will look back, giving him a signal that she was lying the entire time but to his disappointment she didn’t look back, and instead she kept walking until she was out of his sight.

**********

A/N: Thoughts on Caroline and Max? What do you think about their situation?

Do you think New York will be uneventful for Caroline or...?

Is the story getting too dramatic? Should I tone it down a bit?