13

Max felt his anger creeping up when he saw a blurry photo of Caroline and Lewis going viral on social media. The photo was taken a few hours ago by some fan, even though the faces are not clear it is obvious that both his teammate and his rival are in a deep conversation and smiling. The grip on his phone got tighter as his jaw clenched in anger.

"I am sure they just ran into each other," Kelly tried to ease his anger. "It's nothing serious. And everyone knows Caroline is the last person to have any sort of relation with someone from Mercedes."

"Maybe you are right," Max sighed as he tossed away his phone. "It's just...I feel like Lewis is trying to play some mind game with me by using her."

"Then maybe you should talk to her," she wrapped her arms around her boyfriend. "She will understand."

Max nodded as he took a deep breath.

"You are right," he removed her hands from him and stood up. "I am going to go talk to her."

"What? You are going now?" Kelly looked a bit confused.

"Yes," he picked up his phone and car keys before rushing out of his house, leaving his confused girlfriend behind.

***

"What the hell is this?" Max showed Caroline the photo as soon as she opened the door. He has tried to keep his cool and planned to have a calm conversation but on the ride to her house his mind got filled with all the worse possibilities and once again his anger resurfaced.

"Hello to you too Max," Caroline replied as she moved aside and he walked in. She frowned as she closed the door and turned around to see Max waiting for an answer. "You know it's too early for me to deal with your anger issues Max."

"Stop joking and tell me why you were with Lewis?" He showed her the photo on his phone.

Caroline took his phone from his hands and zoomed in to see the photo properly.

"Creepy fans..." she mumbled before handing his phone back. This is the first time she saw the photo. "I went for a run and just ran into each other," she explained.

"Why don't I believe you?" He asked, unsatisfied with her answer.

"That's the truth, Max," she said calmly as she gently touched his arm. "You are just over-thinking right now."

Max's eyes soften and his shoulder relaxed a bit as he looked at Caroline's concerned face.

"Please stay away from his," he said as he put his other hand on hers. "He is trying to get to me by messing with you."

"He is not messing with me Max," she tried to explain. "And he is not trying to get to you."

"Then you are just naïve," he slightly raised his voice. "He knows it affects me when you..."

"Do you hear yourself right now?" she removed her hand from his arm.

"I am, but you clearly don't see what is going on," he argued.

"Max! Nothing is going on here," Caroline raised her voice to match his. "We just ran into each other. I can't even stand that guy for more than five minutes."

"But it seems quite the opposite in the photo," he scoffed.

"So now I can't even talk or smile with anyone you don't like?"

"That's not what I said."

"That's exactly what you are saying," she argued. "I know you don't like Lewis but..."