Chapter 12

I never believed in Christmas miracles.

Believing in a magical creature, who visited millions of homes in one night, dressed in red and strung along by flying reindeer? Reindeer that were commonly seen as all males when in fact, it was the females who kept their antlers during the winter months?

It was something to be seen in TV adverts and movies. The illustration that kids sent letters and if they were good enough, got something beneath a Christmas tree, soon fell short on my wish list. I tried my best to be good. Nothing was ever under the tree. That belief system was never given the chance to develop.

Now, staring into space behind the counter in Starbucks, serving hot drinks, mostly ridiculous orders to people my age, even their hazy, sullen faces couldn't distract from the mild mystical spell that circulated around my body. A distinct tingle that echoed in my heart, beat loudly, so loudly in fact that it was the only thing that I heard.

Of course, all high spirited moments had to end. Especially at work.

"Rosie, the customer?" Dara prompted, whacking my arm as she walked behind me.

"Yeah, the customer," I mumbled, cleaning around the edges of the cup and turned to place it on the counter.

"You're not paid to just stand around, you know."

"Yeah."

"Take the nice lady's money."

I blinked and saw a girl looking at me with a small smile. "Yeah, taking the money."

The girl handed it over and shrugged, easily. "We all have those days. Don't worry about it."

Dara waited until the girl had left before gripping my arm and led me out from behind the counter. "Rosie, take a break. You're freaking out the customers. Don't come back until you're...less high looking."

I didn't dispute her claim of me being high because I got a break. Plus, speaking back never ended well. It usually ended in her going into lecture mode and that didn't only impact me. It affected everyone, the other employees, the customers, having to hear her whiny voice had a certain vibration that made everyone want to plug their ears and cry.

Turns out, I didn't make it far. I made it a couple of steps until I was sat at a table, hands clasped and staring out the window.

It wasn't long before someone took the vacant seat in front of me. Of course, the presence itself didn't alert me to not being alone anymore. It was the scent of raspberries and the feeling of a much too cold hand over my own, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Daydreaming?" Jennie asked casually, a smirk pulling at her lips.

"Maybe," I answered, looking at her hand.

"About?"

"Things."

She tapped her finger on the edge of my wrist, making me realise that I stared too long down at her fingers. "Is the Christmas spirit finally getting to you?"

I cleared my throat and lulled my head to the side. "Well, it depends on what's on the agenda today."

At that, she smiled, pleased at the curiosity. "I'm glad you asked."

I watched as she removed her hand from on top of mine, then attempted to rid myself of the pout that formed on my lips from the loss of contact before she finished whatever she was occupied with. Jennie plucked the bag from the ground and dug her hand through it. Finally, she pulled out something blue, royal blue and laid it on the table.

Jennie didn't stop there. She zipped down her jacket, like a superhero unleashing their costume to a mere human and presented what could only be described as the most hideous thing in the world.