Chapter 23: Mission Canada, Part 2

Start from the beginning

"You promise?"

"Yes, I sent Geto the call details."

An hour-long conversation with Gojo drained my energy. I am expecting Aamina and Businge any minute. Both women are swamped with school and have rescheduled twice this week. Hopefully, we can meet up.

As I start dosing off, my phone vibrates. I grab my coat, a pair of shoes, and my keys. I make it to the forest by 5:30 am.

"Hey! Sorry for the last-minute notice. Mathéo gave us the green light twenty minutes ago."

"The green light for what?"

"To breach the barrier and gather more information. Any suggestions, Blaise?", Businge asks, sounding chipper as always.

"I think we can decide on a plan of action after we get to the barrier's location. Assuming it has not moved since Monday. Any objections?"

"None from me. Aamina?"

"Nope. Let us go!"

The water feels ominous. Aamina picks up on my suspicions and does her best to reassure me we are safe.

"There is no need to worry. My sister and I know how to handle water." She gives me a playful wink and walks forward.

We arrive on the other side of the riverbank and make it to the same place as last week.

"Aamina, when was the last time the barrier moved?"

"Three weeks ago. I don't know where it moved to but, it reappeared less than twenty-four hours."

"What time did we arrive here on Monday? A rough estimate will suffice."

"Around five."

"Hey, you two! This way." Businge yells, waving her hand towards the opposite end of where we arrived.

I do not feel comfortable in this place. Something is watching us and luring us into a trap. I can't locate them or figure out what they are! Crud!

"Aamina! Watch out!"

Aamina flies into the water! Hints of light pink gather around her body.

"Blaise, go after the attacker."

I head east, without protesting. I stop dead in my tracks when an orange-haired person nocks me into a tree. The air rushes out of my lungs, causing me to see stars.

Suddenly, another vampire grabs my shirt, hoisting me into the air. I gather cursed energy into my fist and wet myself.

"Fu..." is all I can say before the vampires run away. I ball my fists up and hit them on the forest floor. A group of crows flies off behind me. Their squawks nearly drown out the approaching footsteps.

"Blaise?"

"Back off from me!" I bark out as Businge and Aamina draw closer. My eyes frantically dart from side to side, gathering information.

My heart and lungs can't keep pace with each other. A cold sweat breaks out on my face, I can feel my hands trembling with fear. If Satoru were here, he would have a hay day mocking me. After what feels like an eternity, I come back to my senses. Then I notice it. A hand rubbing circles across my back.

"You are safe. Please, calm down."

I sheepishly nod at Businge. Her eyes smile as the sun reflects off them.

After curling my knees into my chest, I recount the details of the ambush. Each detail that drips from my mouth makes me hug my knees tighter.

"Then we should go after them."