19 | hindsight

Thankfully, Hyojin didn't fail.

There was hiccups here and there but the main ideas were clearly expressed and he finished the presentation in rounds of applause from everyone. Including me, with a sigh of relief, of course.

Although I had listened to Hyojin's pitch several times, even helped him paraphrase his ideas to enhance its impact, watching him speak to large audience, some of them were even VIPs was definitely a nerve-racking experience.

Hyojin dressed formally today with grey suit. He also had his hair dyed back to black. That disappointed me a bit as red-hair Hyojin was always my favorite but perhaps black was a safer choice.

He was busy talking to the management team and the VIPs after getting off stage.

Meanwhile I just stood near the exit, unconsciously pulled a goofy smile. People passed by me on the way out of the hall, some recognized me but I just half-heartedly returned their greeting with nods, unable to take my attention off Hyojin.

"Wheein ah!"

I heard Hyojin's familiar voice calling my name.

Oh dear, finally he saw me!

He excused the guests to walk towards me, surprise clearly written on his face.

For I was here so early.

"And. . . is that you Taehyungie?"

Okay. So it wasn't my early presence that caught his attention.

"Yes it's me. . ." - Taehyung grinned with the first words I actively heard from him the moment I entered the hall - "Hyungnim."

I could feel my mouth went agape. It was not normal at all for Taehyung and Hyojin acted like they knew each other, much less addressing that way.

But here they were, doing fist-bump in hip-hop style and sharing big smiles. In my imagination, them two standing side by side looked funny as Hyojin was definitely shorter but behaved like an old man while Taehyung always looked mischievous.

However, I had never expected such imagination happened.

"Hyojin oppa, you know him?"

I nudged him in the arm, asking and reminding Hyojin that he called my name first, not Taehyung's.

Hyojin turned to me, burst out an "Ahhh!", as if he finally remembered calling me first.

"Right! I was so careless. Wheein ah. . ." - Hyojin wasn't addressing me as Whee-pup but that's OK, we were in public then. He pointed to Taehyung, joyfully introduced.. - "This is Taehyung, he taught painting here after you left. And Taehyung ah, this is Wheein, Jung Wheein, my little sister that taught piano I once told you."

My eyes flickered. And I saw my current expression reflected on Taehyung's face as he turned to me, looking totally speechless at Hyojin's introduction.

Now he knew why I was here.

And I knew why both of us were here.

"Seriously" - A corner of Taehyung's lips curved into a smirk as he sounded in disbelief. - "It's Wheein-ssi that you've been telling me, hyungnim?"

Hyojin hummed in confirmation.

"And did Taehyung-ssi tell you. . ." - I was the next to follow up - ". . . That he worked for Purple Line? I mean, my company?"

Now that Hyojin's irises started to darting between me and Taehyung.

Hesitantly, he made a guess.