A Cold Day in December Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

AIM. SNAP. FALL

"Hey Eriol, why are you still here?" Seth asked hoarsely. I was seated at a corner outside the Discipline Room, waiting. Behind Seth, the others started to file out and were shocked to find me there. I had no idea why I waited for them, maybe it was because of Risto getting me all worked-up with worry. What he said puzzled and confused me to no end. Me, getting in his way of what? I stood up and stretched a little, letting my blood flow through my legs. When I saw Risto, who was the last to emerge out of the door, I gave him a smoldering look that could last him a year.

"I bet he feels guilty for having special treatment," Chelsea chimed in her usual perky and annoying voice reserved only for me. No way I was gonna admit I felt guilty though.

Instead of retorting back, I just ignored her and answered Seth. "Well, as you can see out the window, it's still raining and I need a ride home." It was an acceptable reason. Besides, Seth was the one badgering me to ride with him to and from school. "That is, if the offer's still up Seth." I think I got him there since he smiled from ear to ear. I looked behind Seth and the others but didn't find Risto anywhere. He must've taken off real fast for me to notice.

Everyone seemed all right and without bruises as we walked toward the main door. I guess Seth and Risto managed to restrain themselves from killing each other. I breathed a sigh of relief, half expecting Risto to pop out of thin air since he obviously took pleasure hearing and watching me sigh. Upon reaching the door, Chelsea told Seth that she would accompany Tina to do shopping and have some girl time with her. Seth grumbled for a bit about curfew and some sibling stuff before giving up to his sister's relentless whining. She gave me a weird look before wrapping her arm around Tina's and ran together with the others under the pouring rain to their cars. I was left with Seth who was muttering something incoherent under his breath. Satisfied that nothing did happen to any of them and my guilty feelings peaced out, I decided to put on my act. One, two...

"Are you ready?" Seth turned and asked.

Three. "Oh! My cellphones vibrating!" I feigned surprise convincingly. "It's my mom," I mouthed before fakingly pushing the talk button. "Hello mom, uhum, yea I'm still in school. What? You're on your way to pick me up?" I eyed Seth who was scrutinizing me. He looked pretty much convinced, in my opinion. "Oh yea mom I'm gonna-" 'Riiinngg!!' crappy crap crap!! I looked over at Seth, he had a very confused and lost expression on his face. "It's ringing!" I blurted out. 'Weird huh? It's the new version of Blackberry,"I explained with a chuckle."Well, I gotta answer this again. Bye!!" And then I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, leaving Seth behind.

I never thought karma could get back at me so fast as I panted for air. I was seated on the floor with my back on the wall near the back door, the sound of the heavy rain harshly hitting the roof was deafening. I wonder if Seth's still here. Looking back at what I did, I sure as hell bet Seth knew I was acting and was probably in his car right now laughing his guts off. I cursed my dad for calling at such a bad time. "You're such an airhead Eriol Mayfair!" I hissed to myself as I banged my head with my fists.

"I think so too." I gasped at the sound. I slowly looked up and just as I'd feared. Seth was looking thoughtfully at me with a smile.