The Blue Palace

"What?" Cosmo stammered, backing away from Arlinn with a perplexed look on his face. It felt like the whole world was spinning. His eyes darted from the sky, to the ocean, to his friends, which were lying on the ground next to his feet unconscious.

"What do you mean?" Arlinn chuckled and smiled, putting a reassuring, if gargantuan, hand on Cosmo's shoulder. "I haven't seen you for many moons, my son. Today is a day I have spent my entire existence awaiting."

"You can't be him. My father died long before I was born." Cosmo's eyebrows scrunched together as disbelief washed over him.

"I know it must be difficult to understand. Please, accompany me to my domain. It would be my pleasure to explain everything to you." Arlinn responded, stepping to the side of the sandstone pathway.

Behind him laid a mountainous crescent-shaped island. The expansive pathway continued into the distance, leading to a magnificent marble palace nested between the peaks. The monument towered into the sky, its lapis domed roofs shimmering in the bright sunlight. Every inch of the palace shone with symmetrical perfection, gleaming with the most purity Cosmo had ever laid eyes upon. Even with the magnificent display of beauty before him, a bitter taste lingered in his mouth.

"No." Cosmo responded, unsure of what was even coming out of his mouth. Arlinn had already turned towards the magnificent dwelling in the distance.

"Hm?" He turned around and raised an eyebrow.

"No." Cosmo repeated, this time with more defiance. "I want to know everything. Now." He wasn't sure where the fury behind his voice had come from, but it had begun to bubble up within him, giving his voice a sharp edge that cut through the peaceful midday air. Everything about the situation seemed too perfect.

"Cosmo. I am the one who bestowed life upon you." Arlinn smiled. His perfect teeth irritated Cosmo. "But I had to disappear, I couldn't let you know who you truly were."

"And why's that?" He snapped, clutching the knife at his belt and drawing it, receding to a defensive position. "This must be an illusion. Or some kind of trap. Do you take me for a fool?"

"Do you take me for one?" Arlinn asked, his smile disappearing. Cosmo looked to his knife to find his hand empty. Looking back to the god in front of him, he found his hunting knife in Arlinn's palm. Attempting to lurch forward and grab his weapon, he found that the sandstone path had consumed his feet, rendering him immoble.

"And you expect me to listen to your lies? Like this?" Cosmo cried out with fury, causing Elias to stir in his unconscious state. "Gwyth." He spat the incantation, the bricks crumbling to dust. "Ernet." Another incantation passed through his lips effortlessly, the blade slipping through the god's fingers and into Cosmo's hand.

"Cosmo-" Arlinn began, only to be interrupted.

"Where were you?" Cosmo yelled, awakening the remainder of his friends. He glanced backwards at Elias, who sat on the ground with a concerned expression.

"What do you mean?" Arlinn asked.

"Don't you know that yourself?" Cosmo retorted. "You're the God of the Mind, aren't you?"

"It wouldn't be prudent of me to-"

"I have almost died countless times to be here." Cosmo's eyes narrowed as his anger boiled over. He couldn't fathom that after years of wanting to meet his father that, in reality, he had been completely useless all along. "When were you going to step in? At what point did you even consider intervening to save your own son's life?"

"I-"

"Your answer falls on deaf ears." Cosmo spat on the ground near Arlinn's feet. "I will hear your plea. But know this, Milyet o'r môr. you are no father of mine." Cosmo stormed down the sandstone pathway, slamming into Arlinn's enormous stature and not turning back. The god helped Cosmo's companions to their feet with a worried look and followed his son down the path, keeping his distance until they arrived at two enormous marble doors.