Fast forward two hours later and I felt as if my spiritual energy was being sucked out of me. I was sitting next to Ellie, who was already getting through her third bottle of wine, looking drunk as fuck.

Not only was I not able to drink for whatever reason, but except for Ellie, myself and another secretary named Jane, it was just a bunch of men talking about business.

I was fucking bored out of my mind.
''Hey, Ellie, don't you think you should slow down a little bit?''

She pouted, ''You're not my mother.''

I laughed, ''How are you getting home? Do you need me to drop you off?'' I was going to ask Luka to give me his car anyway, since he was close by.
''No need,'' She dismissed, ''My girlfriend is picking me up.''

I nodded my head in understanding and tried to listen to the boys talking, thinking it'd help time pass.

From time to time, I found myself glancing at Elijah. Although the bastard noticed almost immediately, it didn't stop me from staring more.

As always, he wore a professional suit that probably cost more than my monthly rent. He had a fake smile on for the entire evening, a smile that I could recognize instantly. Basically, the hidden meaning was that he was silently begging his colleagues to shut the fuck up, without having to say it.

''How about you, miss Preston?'' My eyes snapped to the side, now watching a senior worker that had talked to me. I didn't even know his name, nor did I want to find out.

Judging by the look on his face, he was well aware that I didn't hear a word he spoke.
''I asked, are you satisfied working for Elijah?''

I smiled, mimicking Elijah's smile, ''Of course! Although I'm only an intern, I'd love to work for Mr. Vaughn in the future as well.''

The senior man fixed his glasses and began a conversation with me, ''Why did you go into business?''

''Money.'' Crap. It was the alcohol talking and I couldn't contain myself from talking before thinking.

The table laughed and I felt myself release a sigh of relief, though the look on Elijah's face wasn't amusement but it wasn't anger at the choice of my words, either. He was definitely not amused.

"I'm glad to hear that you enjoy working for Mr. Vaughn," the same man spoke again. Dude, read the fucking room.

"He praised your skills."

No, never mind. Speak more, sir. Please.

"Oh, really?" I questioned, honestly intrigued. Sure, whenever I did the job right, which was all the time, Elijah would praise me slightly. I had no idea that he was praising me to other people.

My praise kink, especially because I was getting more and more drunk by each passing second, seemed to have hit the roof.

I was so overjoyed and excited that the man who could barely speak in a tone that wasn't stoic or monotone was praising me.

Needless to say that I was also rather horny.

The situation down there took a turn for the worse when I saw the look on Elijah's face. It did take me a couple of seconds to figure out why he was throwing daggers in my direction until my voice rang in my ears.

The way I responded to the man that talked to me was in a teasing manner. Almost as if I was testing Elijah or actually being sarcastic about him praising me and Mr. Vaughn wasn't happy with that.

I found out that he was praising me and I got the opportunity to see him pissed off for something that I said. It was an exhilarating feeling and there was nothing more than I, in my drunken state, wanted to see than Elijah whipping me for speaking to him in such an informal manner.