Chapter 2.2

Jungkook stood up and got ready to leave. "Jae is tired. I'm going to take him back for his afternoon nap."

"Where are you going? We're not done here yet!" Mrs. Jeon said angrily.

"No, we're done." He gestured at Lisa. "I'll go with her."

"Me?" Lisa pointed at herself in bewilderment.

The Manoban family, as well as the rest of the Jeon family, were also stunned. What did the girl sitting at the end of the table have to do with anything?

By the time Mrs. Jeon recovered from her stupor, Jungkook was already nowhere in sight. "Where did Jungkook  go?" she asked.

"He's gone," Jeon Huai responded.

"..." Mrs. Jeon's endless patience was instantly exhausted by the actions of her eldest son.

"Mrs. Jeon, what do you mean by this?" Mrs. Manoban asked with a dark expression.

Mrs. Jeon hurriedly explained, "Mrs. Mnaoban, there must've been a misunderstanding. Jungkook probably mistook her for your precious daughter..."

"Then what do we do now?"

"Well..." Mrs. Jeon didn't know what to say. Seeing his mother in a bind, Jeon Huai stepped in.

"President Manoban," he said. "Let's end this here for today. As for the business cooperation, I'll go back and discuss it with the other departments in the company first."

At that,Manoban Liren immediately sobered up. "Ah, okay. I'll wait for your news."

"Then we'll take our leave first."

The Manoban family stood up and watched as Manoban Liren escorted the two Jeon family members to the door. Once the latter was gone, ManobanLiren turned around and revealed a helpless expression.

Manoban Zhizhi immediately cried out in frustration, "Mom, dad, what did they mean by that? Huh?!"

"Yeah, he didn't look like he wanted to marry Zhizhi at all!" Manoban Kai joined in.

"Liren..." Mrs. Mnaoban also looked at her husband.

"That's enough. I'm not happy either, but what can we do? The survival of our company depends on this marriage. Right now, I'm in the middle of... cajoling them. You should know the state our company is in right now. If we don't do this, it will collapse."

"It escalated that quickly?" Mrs. Manoban asked.

"Why else would I be tolerating them to this extent?" Manoban Liren responded angrily.

"Dad..." Manoban Zhizhi said hesitantly. "Dad, I don't mind a marriage of convenience, but doesn't the Jeon family have two sons? What if..."

"Are you talking about their second young master? Do you think we stand a chance against the long line of girls who want to marry him?"

"Our Zhizhi isn't bad either," Mrs. Manoban refuted.

"I'm not saying our daughter is inferior to them, I'm saying our social standing isn't high enough... Tomorrow, I'm going to send someone to ask around for the eldest young master's hobbies. Zhizhi, you should also try to contact him often."

"Okay," Manoban Zhizhi agreed reluctantly.

After talking to his family, Manoban Liren turned around and asked Lisa, "And you... how did you get here?"

"Second uncle, I didn't mean to... I didn't know Zhizhi had a blind date today," Lisa tried to explain. "I couldn't find you, so I couldn't help but follow when I saw you walking into this hotel."

"I know what you're going to say. Xiao Yuan is in the hospital. As his uncle, I am also saddened by his condition. If it's the treatment costs you want help with, I can pay the full amount for you..."

"Second uncle, I have enough money for the treatment. It's a compatible bone marrow that he needs. I've already gone for a determination, and the results said my bone marrow is not compatible. The doctor suggested..."

"How can we possibly be compatible if even you, his blood-related sister, isn't?" Mrs. Manoban interrupted.

"No, second aunt, I've already asked the doctor. The compatibility between relatives is usually very high. Manoban Zhizhi, Manoban Kai, and second uncle, all three of you might be compatible. Especially second uncle..."

"Have you considered your uncle's age? Do you think your uncle's life is worth less than your brother's?" Mrs. Manoban scolded as she pointed an accusatory finger at Lisa.

"No, second aunt. The doctor said that doing a bone marrow transplant would not affect the health of the donor—"

"Of course you're going to say that. Since you're trying to scam us of a bone marrow, you could be lying for all we know!" Wu Zhizhi cut in.

Lisa quickly shook her head. "I'm not lying, I really did consult a doctor. If he told me that doing a bone marrow transplant would harm the donor, I wouldn't be here! Second uncle, Xiao Yuan's condition is getting worse. We can't wait for the hospital to find us a donor. You,  Zhizhi, and Kai are our last hope. Please, second uncle. You watched Xiao Yuan and me grow up. Please help him."

Tears had begun to fall from Lisa's eyes. Seeing that, Manoban Liren felt his heart soften a little. "Lili, I do want to help you, but I doubt my bone marrow is compatible."

"It's okay! Second uncle, as long as you're willing to go get a determination, even if you're incompatible, I'll be grateful to you my entire life!" Lisa promised with a face full of sincerity.

Noticing her husband falter, Mrs. Manoban pulled the man aside and reminded him, "Your health isn't good to begin with. Why bother donating a bone marrow? Our company isn't doing well right now. What will we do if you collapse?"

"..." Manoban Liren thought for a moment before turning to Lisa. "I'll send you some more money tomorrow, use it to buy some good food for Xiao Yuan. Maybe the hospital will be able to find a donor soon."

"Second uncle, I don't want money..."

"Lili, I have some business to attend to, so I have to go." With that, Manoabn Liren walked around her and left the conference room.

Lisa wanted to run after him but was stopped by her second aunt. "Lisa, you shouldn't be selfish. I know your brother is important to you, but your uncle also shares the same blood as you. Not to mention, he has a family of his own to take care of. Please stop looking for us."

"Second aunt, please help me. If you help me this one time, I promise I'll do anything you want—" The door slammed shut.

Lisa slumped down against the wall. This time, she didn't try to chase after them.

As tears ran down her cheeks, she vowed, "Don't worry, Xiao Yuan. I won't give up. I'll save you!"

...

Jadeite Peak, Jeon Manor.

"What the hell were you thinking?!" Mrs. Jeon erupted.

Jungkook couldn't understand why his mother was angry. "I chose someone, so what's the problem?"

"You chose someone? I think you did it on purpose! I introduced you to the eldest miss of the Manoban family, but you chose a random bystander instead!"

"That girl isn't from the Manoban family?" Jungkook asked in surprise.

"She's President Manoban's niece," Jeon Huai explained.

"So she is from the Manoban family. Between marrying the daughter and the niece, what's the difference?" Jungkook asked.

After quietly listening for a while, Mr. Jeon finally spoke up. "Then can you tell us if you actually like Manoban Liren's niece?"

"She's not bad on the eyes, and Jae doesn't mind her either,"Jungkook responded.

The other members of the Jeon family exchanged looks. A girl that neither Jungkook nor Jae disliked was a first... though they weren't exactly experts at distinguishing whether or not Jae liked someone.