❤Chapter 9 Part II

Chapter 10 - Don't Tell Mother's Anything

“Euh,” I gasped sharply. 

As the pill went down my throat, I felt the drug begin to take effect. I pressed my hand over my mouth and coughed a few more times before frowning. My pale skin was now stained with red blood. It was a side effect of ingesting too much poison these days.

I was glad that I hadn’t prepared myself for the family dinner yet. If I had spat blood any later, the maid would have had to help me into another evening gown and redo my make-up.

I stared at my bloodied hand and felt inclined to smile. My reflection showed a beautiful lady devoid of expression, as if she had not noticed the red mess coagulating around her mouth. The red shone brightly against her lips as if it were badly applied lipstick. 

I held out my hand. Emily, who had been standing off to the side, handed me a handkerchief. I used it to wipe the warm blood from my mouth. Emily was stoic as usual and unshaken. She and I were used to these scenes.

Someone knocked at my door.

“Sana,” my mother’s voice said clearly.

I glanced at Emily. She nodded. She opened the door to reveal a beautiful woman with a face that resembled my own.

My mother, Sara Colonis, was still elegant and breathtaking even in middle age. From any angle, she did not look like a mother who had a sixteen year old daughter, yet alone a twenty year old son, if Asil were still alive. 

“I haven’t seen you in a while, my little Sana,” she said.

“Yes, mother,” I said.

A few years ago after I had received my father’s approval, I had moved into the main building and away from my mother. There wasn’t even a chance of meeting her by coincidence. My mother walked gracefully towards me until she stopped mid-step. Her eyes grew wide.

“Blood….” Her expression turned fearful. “Are you hurt?”

I had wiped my face but there was still damp evidence over my neckline. I could feel a thin line of liquid drip between the furrow of my breasts. 

“It’s nothing, mother. What are you doing here?” I said.

I turned my body and looked away from her without any further explanation. She was too weak like Asil to confide in. My mother saw me close off from her and dropped the subject. 

“Your father is having one of his dinners with you and some of your siblings today. I came in case you were nervous,” she said.

“It’s not my first  time at a formal dinner,” I smiled. “Why would I be nervous?”

My mother looked at me, unsure of what to say.

She must be worried that I would rebel against Father today. At some point, we had grown distant. I had been an obedient child and had acted carefully around her, but she could be afraid that I was restless as any girl my age tended to be. 

Her visit was pointless. I was old enough to take care of myself. 

Her sorrowful eyes pleaded at me to forgive her for worrying. She had to see me today because she still loved me. She wouldn’t have peace until she saw that I was doing fine.

I arranged myself into a gentle posture by resting my elbow on the table and cupping my chin with one hand. “I’ll be fine, mother. You don’t have anything to worry about.”

Relief shone on her face when she saw how calm I was. She gave a long exhale through her teeth. “Of course, you’ve become a fine Agriche,” she said.

It was the highest compliment she could give me. She gave me a gentle smile with her hands clasped together over her skirts. For a brief moment, my mouth relaxed and I lost the fake smile I had been giving her. My eyes widened imperceptibly. 

“Thank you, mother. As you wish, I strive to be worthy of being an Agriche.”

My beautiful mother’s shoulders seemed thin and fragile as she sadly approved of me. She was a bystander that could not support me. She had watched Asil die unfairly and cried at his death. If I were to die today in the exact same fashion, I could see her stand idly by, trembling in fear again, before cradling my broken neck in her arms. 

“Mother, may I rest a bit more? I’m afraid I won’t be a good host since I must prepare for dinner.” I turned back to face the vanity mirror. 

“Yes, I came to you at a busy time,” she excused herself. She shook her head, realizing that I wanted to end our conversation. “Then, I will take my leave.”

I made a pretense of fixing my hair and feigned to hear her. 

In my mirror’s reflection, I saw my mother hesitate before leaving the room silently.

When she left, Emily began to dress me for the formal dinner. She decorated me extravagantly, as if I were a general celebrating the end of a war; the sort of occasion where an officer would polish his sword and wear medals and ribbons before meeting a king. I didn’t seem to be dressing for a simple family dinner.

In the mirror, the young lady before me was dazzlingly beautiful. When I pulled the corner of my lip upward, her empty, dull expression disappeared. Her smile lit her face as if a warm breeze had given her new life.

“Miss, dinner is ready.”

I walked out into the quiet corridor. For a moment, I walked the same path my mother must have gone to return to her rooms before turning around sharply for dinner.

I didn’t hate my mother. I didn’t blame her for marrying into this absurd family or for being too weak to protect me. I had to keep my guard. I wouldn’t last long here if I gave in and begged to be coddled. 

That was all.