❤Chapter 6

Chapter 6 - Jeremy Appears

Should I kill myself and try my chances at rebirth again? I thought pathetically.

That was a dismal thought; perhaps I had had another past life before I was a Korean. I had no way of knowing if I was even on my third or fourth life. Maybe I had suffered something even worse than being an Agriche.

Shouldn't a proper villain have been born into this family instead? Although I had inherited my surname from birth, I was still not partial to the family, this house, or the values that I had been raised on.

However, I agreed on one value that I had been taught here: take advantage of an opportunity when it arises.

Although everyone was crazy here, only the strongest survived in this house.

This d*%m family had a gift of driving anyone insane. If you didn't fit in, there was only one ending for you: to be treated as trash. I still remembered how this family had disposed of Asil's body. He had died simply because our father viewed him as a defective product.

Since then, I strove to become one of the most accomplished members of the family. Regardless, I still knew. Despite whatever skills I would develop, I would never be truly safe from the eyes of my father, stepparents, and siblings.

Knock Knock.

"Miss Roxana, may I come in?"

"Yes, please do," I said.

The door opened and a maid entered my room with an expressionless face. It was a daily ritual for Emily to come see me around this time.

She held a tray with a glass of water and white piece of paper folded neatly into the shape of a packet.

"Go on," I said.

"Miss, you are currently developing an immunity against the fifth stage of N- poison. The intensity of your dosage today has increased by 0.2 peron.* Your current dose is 4.7 peron, which is fatal to the average human. Prior to their death, the test subjects have shown severe abdominal pain after consumption."

I gently picked up the packet and poured the white powder into the glass of water. The explanation may have sounded a bit bloody to one's ears, but it was of no consequence to me. I drank slowly.

From an early age, every Agriche was trained to develop an immunity against most poisons. The powders and serums were weighed and mixed carefully to ensure that none of the doses were lethal. Instead of death, the most my siblings and I would look forward to would be intense pain or temporary paralysis.

However, instead of building an immunity, I was now ingesting this poison for personal reasons.

"What is Jeremy doing now?" I said.

"I last saw him in his room, Miss."

Before Emily could take my empty glass, an impatient battering ram started to abuse my door. The wood on the door continued to thud in a heavy, quick rhythm until I nodded to Emily that I would see the guest.
When she had opened the door, a young boy pushed Emily aside and darted into the room. His light blue eyes were shining brightly on his pretty face. The colour contrasted nicely against his dark hair.
"Sana!" he shouted excitedly.
I was unsurprised by his outburst.
Jeremy, my younger half-brother. Besides Charlotte and I, he had seen father bring Cassis Pedelian home as a prize and heard that Cassis was to be moved to the dungeons.
I had been wondering since yesterday about how I should deal with Jeremy. He was fifteen years old and a bit more touched in the head than my other siblings. I saw him as a predictable child and had anticipated that he would seek me out by now.

In the novel, Jeremy was the villain who had kidnapped the female lead. He was the sole culprit that led to our family's ruin.