Forgetting You - Sakamoto Mashiro

A belated happy birthday for Mashiro <33

Loving you is such a painful thing

Your P.O.V.

"Are you okay?" I asked my girlfriend who was standing still beside the kitchen counter.

She was firmly holding a glass of water and kept her eyes closed. She was definitely not okay.

"Is it hurting again?" I asked again as I stepped closer to her.

"Who are you?" she uttered.

I blinked my eyes repeatedly at her question. Her eyelids were still closed and her hand was trembling.

"Mashiro, it's me." I said.

She immediately opened her eyes, the painful expression on her face turned into a shocked one.

"I-- it's starting..." she panicked.

She drank the glass in one gulp while I went beside her and held her in my arms. She was breathing heavily and it hurt me that I couldn't do anything to heal her pain.

"Shh, it's going to be fine." I lulled.

"Y/n, I didn't recognize your voice earlier." she murmured.

"It's okay. You remember me now, right?" I pulled apart and cupped her face.

She nodded her head and I looked at her teary eyes, feeling my world slowly crumble and build up all over again.

"I don't want to forget you." she expressed.

"You won't." I replied before placing a soft kiss on her forehead.

It was hard to keep on believing these lies. That as reality slowly starts to slip in, we were clinging on more to the sweet lie that we wish to believe.

It had been months since they discovered Mashiro's condition. She was starting to lose her memories, and it wasn't exactly amnesia or anything.

But they told us that a day will come when she'll no longer remember anything. That she's going to lose all of her memories one day.

And it was starting little by little.

"Mashiro! Y/n!" Youngeun called to us from afar.

We were celebrating the girl's birthday with the rest of their friends.

"How have you guys been?" Chaehyun asked.

"Oh, we've been fine." Mashiro answered.

We sat down just beside the two oldest. As I looked at Mashiro, I wondered if we were really fine. With the struggles that she goes through everyday, and all the attempts I did just to endure her little memory loss.

But she was smiling, and she was happy to be with her friends at least.

The celebration went on smoothly, we were celebrating Youngeun's birthday happily. Eating delicious foods and exchanging interesting remarks.