49

"It's your birthday soon! Twelve hours and two minutes to go!" I shout to Ashton, who is sitting next to me. We sit together in the corridor of the hotel. It's quieter there than in the rooms. There's no concert today. I give him a poke. "Juul, after saying that fifteen times, every minute, I get it..." He laughs. I shrug my shoulders.

The two weeks have flown by! Tomorrow is Ashton's birthday, tomorrow is the big day! Tomorrow I'm going to give a speech, argh...

Soon we're going to Ashton's house! We just arrived, half an hour ago, in Sydney

The hate on 'Jashton' is fortunately less, still there, but less. But the hate between Liam and Harry is growing by the day. It started the night that Jashton was announced: they started arguing, Harry started. I feel like he does it because he's jealous, because the fights are never about anything.

"Fuck off man." There you have it. "Why do you always think you're funny when you're hiding someone's stuff? IT'S NOT FUNNY!" Harry comes running out into the corridor angry, followed by Liam, "Everyone thought it was funny! Everyone except you! Why do you always whine like that?" Everyone is irritated by the arguments, I notice that the atmosphere is tense when we sit somewhere, with Liam and Harry present. "Guys, calm down! He's the almost birthday girl yes!" I interject. "Boy..." Ashton corrects me. "Sorry..." I laugh. "He's whining again.... What's wrong with you?" Snarls Liam.

"Juul is it almost an hour already? I want to go home!" Ashton suddenly asks. "That's what I just said. Your birthday is in twelve hours and a minute, so in an hour." I say to him. "Because you're just being cuntish..." Snaps Harry in between. This is how it's been for a fortnight... "If you guys would just move on somewhere else we could get on with our lives..." I growl, I'm fed up with it. The boys look at me in bewilderment. They're not used to this. I take a deep breath. "You've gone from best friends to enemies in a fortnight or so, I don't get it... So talk!" Sighs I.

"She is right though..." Sighs Liam. Harry just shrugs. "Let's talk..." Tries Liam. Harry shrugs again. "I don't like arguing with you..." Continues Liam. "Neither do I with you but... Yeah... I don't know..." Harry shuffles his feet back and forth a little uncomfortably. "Come..." Liam walks to the door of their hotel room. Harry follows him silently. That was... Weird?"

"Oh my! We're almost there!" Ashton claps his hands like a small child. It's quarter past one now and we're on our way to Ashton's house. "Ash, Calm your tits..." Laughs Calum, who is also along. We've arrived a day earlier than planned, so Calum's parents aren't home today... They're on a mean visit to friends in New Zealand and won't be back until tonight. Calum is not angry about it. "Aren't you glad to see your parents again tomorrow?" Ashton asks enthusiastically. Calum nods. "Of course I am! But you're like a kid in a sweet shop..." Laughs Calum. I laugh along.

"Could we sleep in our parents' house tonight?" Ashton asks. I shrug. "Then I want you with me. And also you, Cal Pal..." He smiles at us. I smile back.

The car stops. Ashton lets out a squeal, which makes me laugh. "Thanks for bringing me!" Ashton shouts enthusiastically. He gets out of the car. Calum and I follow his example.

Ashton hops to the door. He rings the doorbell cheerfully. Calum stands next to Ashton and I behind him.

I hear footsteps in the corridor. A blonde middle-aged woman opens the door. "Ashton!" She falls around Ashton's neck and kisses him on his cheeks, his forehead and mouth. "Mum, my best friend and girlfriend are standing there..." His mother lets go of him, there are tears in her eyes "Sorry, honey. Hi Calum!" She embraces Calum tightly as well. Then she looks at me "Hai! So you're Juul! I've heard a lot about you girl! You make my son very happy, thank you!" I feel my cheeks turning red. She hugs me. "Come in! Harry and Lauren aren't home yet. I think they'll be here in a few hours!" Ashton's mum shouts enthusiastically. Ashton walks in, we follow him. "Should I make some tea? Or coffee?" Ashton's mother asks us. "Just take it easy mum." Ashton gives her a kiss on her wag. "I want to show Juul my old room first later. And Calum too of course, but he's already seen it once..." Ashton grabs my arm and pulls me up the stairs with him Calum follows us.

Looking at the doors, I immediately know which room is Ashton's: the door with the rock posters. "Stay here! I know the state I left him in!" Laughs Ashton, as he slips in through a crack in the door. Calum and I stand next to each other in silence.

"Is Ash's father nice?" Ask ii, just to have a topic. I can remember him saying 'parents' on the bus to Alice Springs. "What do you mean?" Asks Calum, "Ashton's dad si left after the divorce with his mum.... He has no contact with him, not for a long time." Explains Calum when he sees my probably questioning face. My mouth falls open in surprise. "You don't mean that?" I ask softly. Calum looks at me confused. "You didn't know?" He asks. I shake my head wildly. "On the bus from Alice Springs he even said parents. I never noticed anything..." I swallow. Calum puts his hand on my shoulder. "I guess he didn't want to burden you with it..." Sighs he. "So is Ash."

At that moment, the door flies open. A cheerful Ashton stands in the doorway. "Tada!"

"I'll help your mother with the dishes, then you two can... Do things?" Calum grins. Ashton sticks out his tongue. I still haven't asked him why he's keeping from me the fact that he has no contact with his father anymore. Ashton walks up the stairs, with me behind him. "Oh, cozy you are!" Laughs Harry. "Right back upstairs." Jumps Lauren to the rescue. They got home a few hours ago, it was touching just like that. They ran up to Ashton and couldn't stop hugging him. He's like a father to them, just like Zayn is to me. I could see that.

"It's warm..." Mutters Ashton when we are in his bedroom. He takes off his shirt and lies down on the bed. I lie down next to him and start tracing the lines of his six-pack.

"Ash?" I ask uncertainly. Ashton looks at me questioningly. "Why didn't you ever tell me that you have no contact with your father anymore..." Ashton stiffens. He looks at me, startled. I stop to overlay his six pack. "Calum disturbed it. He thought I already knew so please don't be angry with him. I'm just wondering why you never said anything..." I continue when Ashton doesn't respond.

"Sorry..." Says he softly. "But... You had a hard time with your own father too, and I didn't want to burden you with it..."

"So are you just lying to me by saying parents?" I ask with raised eyebrows. Ashton shrugs. "Something like that..." He mumbles.

"What a loser you are..." I say softly. "I know what it's like to have no contact with your father. Ash... It's hard. I don't tell everyone either..." I sigh. "But I do tell you everything. Ash please promise em that you will too..." Ashton strokes my hair. "I promise dear... And I swear I've told you everything but this." He has me a kiss on my forehead. We stay against each other for a while

"Soon the hardest moment will come when I have to tell Cal Pal that he has to sleep in the guest room..."Says Ashton suddenly seriously after a while of silence. I start laughing. "Ashton, young one!" Laughs I. Ashton laughs along with me.

"Are you still angry? Or disappointed?" Ashton asks uncertainly when we have finished laughing. I shake my head. "I never really was... I just didn't get it. But I love you so much, Ashton Fletcher Irwin!" I give. him a kiss on the nose. "And I love you, Juul, second name, Malik!" I laugh. "From now on I'll tell you everything! I already did, except for this.... But now really everything..." Says Ashton clumsily. "Thank you." I smile. "And I to you..."

1435 words

Don't forget to vote