CHAPTER 10

Walking through the halls of this annoyingly dull school was a headache in itself, but on top of that, having people grieve for you at the same time was way worse. You watch as people give you looks of pity; their eyes shine with something mine could never in a million years have, remorse.

Readjusting my tote bag, I still feel the uncomfortable stares as I make my way to my locker. A sigh left my lips as my eyes travelled across the many 'i'm sorry for your loss' notes. A slight chuckle escaped my lips before I opened my locker. I placed all the unwanted books there and picked up the ones I needed before shutting it again.

After looking down at my phone, I realised I still had some time to kill, so I made my way over to the back of the school for a quick smoke, knowing I would need it. After a 5 min walk, I pulled out my packet and lit one as I slid down the wall.

My school had this old back building that no one ever went to. I think it used to be an old maths classroom, but it caught on fire, and no one ever came to rebuild it, so I started to come here for a minute of quietness throughout my day. Through my exams and tests, people being too much for me to handle and most importantly, life in all its glory, I came here for a break. Sometimes I even came here in the school holidays so no one could find me, and I would finally be alone.

As the smoke engulfed my lungs and the burning sensation started to hit, I closed my eyes to try and get any peace that I could, knowing that the rest of my day was going to be a handful.

When the school bell rang, I snapped open my eyes, put my cigarette out, and got up from my seat. Fuck I'm going to be late for my first class, but who cares? People assume that Justin's death will be brutal on me, so I think that means people don't care whether or not I'm in class.

Slowing my pace, I take out my phone and scroll through social media until I get stopped by running into a wall, except this wall is warm and has many muscles. Before my body hits the ground, strong arms wrap around my waist and steady me. My eyes quickly meet the person's, and I let out a sigh of relief. It was one of the boys on the football team.

"Are you alright?" He asks.

I'm not sure why I thought the person I had run into would be Cole, but I'm somewhat glad.  

"Lily? You okay?" He asks again.

"Um, yes, I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention, and I completely ran into you." I quickly force out.

He chuckles, and I watch as his adam's apple bobs in his throat. "It's fine, you're going through a lot right now, and I just hope you're okay," he says sincerely, making me want to throw up.

Forcing a smile to my lips, I keep quiet. 

Suddenly he starts to get nervous, and he pulls away from my waist. "I was wondering if it's not too soon, of course, if you want to go ou-"

"Step away from her, Anderson." A familiar deep voice threatens him and cuts him off.

Luke did not move away from me, and I crossed my arms in annoyance that he didn't see.

"I said step away from her," Cole demanded, which made Luke immediately step back.

Colten moved in front of me protectively and made Anderson step back further away, which I was grateful for.

"If I ever see you place your hands on Lily's body or even talk to her, I will cut off your hands and shove them so far up your ass that your ancestors would feel your pain." He warned.

Luke looked at both of us, watching as Cole stood slightly in front of me protectively. His face was confused for a moment, thinking about everything that Cole had just said before it turned into an amused smirk.