CHAPTER EIGHT | oh you're okay. now my heart can return to it's normal rate

 now my heart can return to it's normal rate

RANDOM SONG OF THE CHAPTER:

Why Didn't You Call Me - Macy Gray

*****

"The secret to having a fulfilling day is putting an alarm on your brother's phone for two o'clock without him knowing and then lying awake until you can hear the satisfying sound of 'Call Me Maybe' mixed with cursing."

******

Zane was not having a good time.

He was unbearably exhausted, Nya was currently soldering the wires in his arm back together after a chainsaw went out of control during the battle, and there was a notification taunting at him in front of his eyes reminding him that he was sitting in an unpleasant alleyway instead of at a date like he was supposed to be.

"Wow Zane, I don't think I've ever seen you look so much like Kai," Cole commented, looking genuinely perplexed. Kai shot him a glare and moved to hit his friend in the shoulder. Unfortunately, he had a rather large gash in his arm that Lloyd just finished stitching up. Before he even made touched Cole he was yelling in pain.

"Don't tear your stitches!" Nya scolded. They all ignored her.

"Zane's just pouty because he missed out on his date." Jay teased.

Cole jumped up. "That was today? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

Zane shot Jay a look. "I thought we agreed to Zane-and-Jay-Best-Buds-Forever confidentiality."

Jay's hands flew to his mouth. "What have I done?" He wailed.

"Wait- so Zane, Mr. Manners, the one who spent a whole day comforting Kai's crazy not-so-secret admirer, stood someone up?" Lloyd asked in disbelief. Amusement tugged at the corners of his mouth. Zane huffed as snickers erupted from the group.

"I was not trying to 'stand her up.'" Zane said defensively.

Nya raised an eyebrow. "I don't think she's gonna believe you were busy putting your arm back together." She gently slid the panel closed before tapping the metal with a clink. "All done."

Jay sighed. "Zane's trail of broken hearts has just started."

Cole was visibly trying not to laugh. "One day he'll be more of a stud than the master of fire himself."