Marcus seemed to be truly listening to you. Nodding at your words, asking questions, you weren't used to it but it really comforted you to know that someone cared. "How did you realize your dad was a bad person?"

You felt the cold sensation you had started to grow familiar with roll down your face. "I mean I always had a feeling. Seeing how much we would use and threaten people but he would always convince me it was for the better. Then I started talking to Vander, and he really just exposed everything. That's when I decided to leave and come to Piltover as an Enforcer. I still feel like I'm betraying him. I truly am afraid of him now. Even I don't know what he's really capable of."

"So you're living your life being terrified of him?" He had a hint of anger in his voice. You nodded and he paused, switching his voice to a more sympathetic and comforting one, "You did the right thing. Coming here. I don't mean to sound cheesy but you're the only one that's really gotten me to open up. So let me be the one to open you up." 

You looked up at him, as soon as you did you made eye contact with his dark brown eyes. They honestly comforted you. You couldn't help but smile a little at him. "Fine." You agreed. He made you feel hopeful. You loved the feeling he gave you. Security. Like someone in the world actually gave a damn. "If we try, we can pass our psych checks next week."

"I wouldn't know where to start." Marcus commented, looking away. 

"Well it's good I do." 

── ❖ ── ✦ ── ❖ ──

You looked at the field full of bright, healthy grass and flowers of all kinds. The fresh smell the flowers gave off made you wonder how you survived in the Undercity with the poisonous air. The sun was setting, making the sky have tints of orange. It was really a beautiful sight to see. "Why did we go here?" You looked over at Marcus, who seemed to be deep in thought.

"You said to think of what would help with my girlfriend's death. This." He looked around and for the first time, you could see his eyes tearing up a bit. "We would come here at least once a week to talk and catch up. Last time I was here, she was alive. It's been years. I avoided it because coming here without her would just... make it a bit too real I guess." A tear fell from his eye as he tried to avoid eye contact.

You looked at the field again, really just taking the beautiful sight in. "It really is beautiful out here." You sat down in the field, the soft grass felt nice and comforting as you did. You looked up at him. "Sit down and tell me about your girlfriend."

He looked down at you, eyes widening a little. You gave him a small smile, trying to make him feel comforted. He sat down beside you, looking into the field. "Um.. well.. where do I start? She understood me, even when I just didn't make sense. Which was most of the time. She could always calm me down. She was an enforcer actually. She died on the job." Marcus was full on crying at this point. You put a hand on his arm to try to be comforting. "I haven't really gotten close to anyone since because I'm terrified the same thing will happen. Plus, nobody could understand me like she did. Everyone just thinks I'm a crooked cop with anger issues that hates everyone. I guess I am..."

You shook your head. "You aren't a bad person, you're just misunderstood."

"And she was the only one to understand that. Before you showed up, I no one to talk to about my problems. Grayson is my friend but... she just doesn't understand. I have to work while being a single dad while not being able to process my girlfriend's death. It's just so stressful. I have no one to talk to and I've been struggling. I've been struggling for years but no one understands and no one can really understand. I'm trying my best. I'm trying to be the greatest dad in the world, I'm trying to make it so my daughter will never have to feel the way I do, I'm trying to make a world where she doesn't need to worry. But I'm failing."