𝐌𝐫𝐬. 𝐂𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧

Start from the beginning

I did as she said then quickly ducked down behind some trees with the others.

John B held up a finger to his lips.

"Okay, so, she has motion sensor lights," Pope whispered.

"Yeah, no kidding!" I whispered back.

"We could, uh-" JJ stuttered. "Move really slowly? Maybe?"

My sister looked at him. "What?!"

Pope shook his head. "That's not how it works,"

"Oh, shit! Let's throw a rock at it!" John B suggested, seeming quite proud of his idea.

"That's a really good idea, actually. Let the axe murderer know that we're here," Kiara said sarcastically.

"You guys have a better idea?!"

"Literally anything but that," I chimed in.

"What about the breaker?!" Sarah asked. "In the circuit box on the porch,"

"Oh my God! That's right!" I said. "We used to play hide-and-seek here as kids. If we were brave enough we'd go all the way up to the porch. I've seen that thing a thousand times,"

John B shook his head. "No, Sarah's not going into that house alone,"

"Watch me," My sister countered.

"Crain chops people into pieces," JJ reminded.

"If you believe that. But she's like, what? Eighty-five? She's probably barely still kicking,"

"Here, I'll go with you," Kie offered.

Sarah nodded. "Yeah, okay,"

"I'll go with y'all too. Three and three," I said.

"Okay, yeah. That'll work," Pope replied. "We'll wait for your signal,"

My sister nodded. "Okay, cool,"

"Hey! Be safe," John B told us.

"Of course," I replied.

Kie, Sarah, and I quietly made our way around the property until eventually reaching the porch.

"She must have a generator plugged into the main power supply," Sarah said as we climbed the steps.

We reached the top, seeing the circuit breaker

"Yes!" I whispered.

Kiara opened it only to reveal a bunch of wires.

A look of confusion came across her face. "What is this?!"

"No, no, no," Sarah muttered, frantically looking around.

"Guys, look," I said, pointing out a wire with my flashlight. "It goes inside,"

Kie slowly opened the creaky screen door to avoid making too much noise.

She hesitated for a second before reaching for the second doorknob and letting herself inside.

"This is creepy as hell," I whispered, following behind her. "Let's find the breaker and go,"

The house was darkened, the old fashioned decor and furniture making it feel like something out of a horror movie.

I could feel my body trembling after every step I took.

I didn't know if it was because I was scared, or because I needed coke, but either way, I wanted it to stop.

A cat suddenly yowled, causing the three of us to jump a mile.

"Shit!" I breathed, putting a hand over my heart.