𝐌𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐋𝐢𝐚𝐫𝐬

After going over the plan with Terrence, Sarah and I decided to go out with Cleo and Stubbs.

Cleo had told us that she knew some kids that would help with the distraction, which I thought was absolutely genius.

The security escorts wouldn't hurt little kids. The most they could do was usher them away.

It was incredibly smart.

While Stubbs played with the group of young children, Sarah, Cleo, and I stood back and watched.

I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty cute watching the kids jump onto his back and giggle as he picked them up.

He was so gentle with them. It was adorable.

"How'd y'all go from living in Paradise Island to living in the street dodging coppers?" Cleo asked my sister and I.

Sarah shrugged. "I fell in love,"

"Big mistake," Cleo chuckled. "Only got yourself to blame for that one,"

"How about you, A?" She asked. "How'd you end up here?"

I didn't know if she had heard John B or Sarah use my nickname before, or if she just come up with it for herself.

Either way, I liked that she was using it. It made us feel closer, which I liked the idea of.

"Weirdly enough, I became a better person," I replied. "I was using and selling cocaine. I was violent, rude, snobby, a bitch to anyone who I deemed 'below' me,"

"It's so fucking stupid now that I think about it," I sighed. "Thankfully, I overheard a conversation between John B and a few of his friends, and eventually ended up getting close with them,"

"Had I not heard that conversation, I'd probably be at my drug dealers house having a cocaine withdrawal right now or some shit," I said. "So, yes, I've lost a lot throughout this whole experience, but I ended up gaining a lot more,"

"I can say the same," Sarah agreed. "I haven't gone through anything close to what Aspyn has, but I had my own share of problems,"

Cleo turned to me. "You're a strong girl, A. I'm proud of you,"

I nodded. "Thanks,"

"What about you?" My sister asked Cleo. "How'd you hook up with Captain T?"

"Father left. Granny died. Was kicked out on the street. I had to find a way to take care of myself," She explained. "I was sleeping on a local dinghy when the mooring broke. I wake up, and I hear someone yelling, 'You know how to tie a bowline?' It was Captain Terrence. I go on deck. I've been with him ever since,"

She sighed. "It's not the best of times, but I gotta do what I gotta do, right?"

For a brief moment, her expression was soft and saddened, but she quickly snapped out of it and turned her attention to Stubbs, pointing to him.

"Stubby's security. Not the brightest bulb, but you ain't gotta watch your back with him," She said. "Terrence on the other hand...he's a ram goat. Anything that's in his way, ram it over. Always stay two steps ahead of him and never really trust him,"

Although she had a blank expression, I could tell she was hurting. It was her eyes. They never fail to show peoples true feelings.

"Wait here," She instructed, turning away.

Cleo walked up to the group of children Stubbs had been playing with. "Who wanna make some money?"

"Me! Me!" All of the kids yelled excitedly.

"But wait, I need a favor first," She told them. "Listen up..."

-

The next day quickly came. We had to wake up pretty early so we could catch Ward at the correct time.