Chapter Six: Invasion

From her spot on the wall, even through the steady downpour, Vimelk could see movement in the forest. At first, whoever it was appeared to be trying to move undetected, but stealth had been abandoned now. There was no mistaking it, Red Fern was surrounded.

"SOUND THE ALARM!" Vimelk shouted, making the two young soldiers next to her jump out of their skin. Even though they'd been tasked with looking at the same section of the forest she had, they hadn't seen the movement. Perhaps they'd just missed it. Or perhaps they were inept. If they all came out of this alive, these two would be getting further training or disciplinary action.

In the distance, the bell from the bell tower rang out, alerting all who lived in Red Fern. Vimelk could imagine the townsfolk arming themselves with makeshift weapons and barricading their doors and windows.

Activity erupted around her as arrows were aimed, but not yet fired, at enemies many had not yet seen. Containers of hot sand and boiling water were prepared, ready to be poured on those foolhardy enough to try to climb in. Weapons were gripped tightly and prayers were muttered. For many, the reality of the situation was starting to set in. The bravado Vimelk had witnessed earlier was replaced with stoicism.

A silence fell over the wall and the waiting began.

Vimelk looked out into the Woods of Waiting again. The invaders must have seen the activity on the wall and heard the bell (after all, who could miss it?), as they now peeled away from their hiding places, revealing themselves. Vimelk's breath caught in her throat. There were so many of them. Hundreds, if not thousands, of soldiers fell into rank at the foot of the wall, all wearing the deep blue and purple colours of Moonwich.

'We're screwed,' she thought, but her face was a mask of confidence.

*****

The sound from the bells made Ivonor's ears ring. Even from this distance, they were loud enough to wake the dead. Their song told the people of Red Fern about the attack, but they also told Ivonor it would soon be time for him to go home. He didn't care if Moonwich was successful in taking over the town. All he cared about was going back to the place he hadn't seen since he was a small boy. Well, he had seen it once quite recently, but he'd been invading it with Red Fern's forces at the time.

As Moonwich's army got into formation down below, Ivonor couldn't help but smile. It would all be over soon.

One way or another.

*****

Mildred Rutland awoke with a start at the sound of the bells. Red Fern wasn't attacked often - people generally didn't dare to strike against the Queen on her home turf - but the folks within its walls knew what those bells meant. After she shook Stanley awake (Stanley was one of those people who could sleep through anything), she jumped out of bed and scurried out of the bedroom in time to see her son getting ready to leave.

"I have to go, Ma," he said, pulling the hood of his cloak up over his helmet. The visor was open so she could still see his eyes. He looked every inch the warrior, but he was still Mildred's little boy.

"I know," she said, smiling sadly. As proud as she was that her son was fighting to protect them all, she still wanted to keep him with her. She wanted to keep him safe. "Take care."

"I'll do my best," Angus replied as he left the house.

*****

"FIRE AT WILL!" Vimelk shouted, her voice already hoarse and her throat sore. "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!"

Arrows shot out over the wall. Some found their target, others didn't. Every arrow that missed appeared to mean that one more Moonwich soldier got another step closer to their city. A couple of dozen Moonwich soldiers were now out of reach of the arrows and were scaling the wall.