Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"It's kind of cliché in a way but I'm sure you'll find it really sweet. Anyway, we were both at work and she came by with her dad to drop their car in. They spoke a bit as he caught her eye and she caught his. You could see it a mile away. Whilst I was talking to her dad, he was talking to her. After a few days, they showed up again to collect the car. I overheard her telling Jake that she insisted to her dad she would come. She wanted to see him again but she had been busy. She said she jumped at the chance to go. Anyway, they exchanged numbers and he took her on a few dates before asking her out. They dated for a good six months, probably a bit longer, before he cheated. I may be a player, but I knew he royally screwed up. I even told him but you know, he sort of lashed out. But it's okay, at least she's warming up to him again, yeah?"

I was in awe. It seemed like love at first sight for them both. It was adorable and really sweet. Damian was right, I did find it really sweet. How could you not? It was sort of romantic too! I was still upset that he cheated on her because he seemed so in love with her when he spoke about her to me. However, I understand that sometimes people make mistakes, so I've accepted that he did make a mistake - a huge one. "What was she like?"

"Honestly? She was a great person. She was so kind and sweet to everyone. It shocked me when she was nice to me too, even though she found out I may or may not have messed around one of her best friends. Despite that, she was still so kind to me. I think she and Jake make a great couple. He had a good woman there, and that's coming from me who didn't know how to settle down at the time. Obviously now I have you, so I guess I do know how to. That reminds me, I'm taking you on a date tonight. Unfortunately, it won't be as romantic as the ball." I shrugged, I didn't really care if it was romantic or not. It meant I got to spend time with Damian and that for me was perfect. I found it weird how I was falling for him quickly but I just went with the flow.

"I don't care if it's not as romantic or not romantic at all. This is going to sound so cheesy but as long as you're there, I'm good."

"You've changed your tune. Just yesterday you were almost refusing to go out with me and now you're being all cheesy on me? I like that." He then kissed me, but it was only a quick peck. "Anyway, I do have to go to work today but when I come back then we will prepare for the date."

"What exactly are we doing?"

"All I can say is that we are having a nighttime picnic, and I hope you love it." That sounds really romantic, actually. Who knew he could be romantic?

***

It was quite late into the evening when Damian came home from work. Before he had left for work, he made me help him make some cake. He told me it was for our date and that homemade was always the best. He said the recipe was something his mum gave to him and it was a great cake - his words, not mine. When it was finished I wanted to try it but he slapped my hand away saying I had to wait for the date. Jerk.

We were now in the car heading to wherever we were having this picnic. He kept it a secret from me, much to my annoyance. All he told me to do was dress casually. I looked out the window and a few stars shone in the night sky. I could see the full moon which was pretty bright and quite huge tonight. It was beautiful. I was always fascinated with the night sky. I always found it more stunning than during the day. Well, who wouldn't? It made me think, where could we possibly be going for a picnic at night?

"I hope you'll love it," he says, "it's sort of romantic and there won't be anyone. No one really goes there at night for some reason. I don't know why." I muttered a reply which didn't really resemble any words. In fact, I don't even know what I said.