Chapter Twenty-One: Lilac

As Kanako walked into the inn, she was greeted by a woodsy smell and lighting that was dimmed due to the hour. For a moment, she stood still, unsure of what to do. With no one at the front desk and the building sounding mostly quiet, Kanako began to wonder if anybody was even there. "Do I have the wrong address?" she thought.

Just as she considered going to look for an employee, an elderly woman came out from the hall. "Oh?" she let out. "May I help you dear?" Kanako stared at her for a moment, not being sure if the woman was a worker or guest. "Well, I guess she wouldn't have asked to help me if she was guest," Kanako thought, then spoke aloud. "Um, I-I'm actually looking for someone. I think this inn called and said that person was here."

The woman was silent, shutting her eyes as she appeared to think about what Kanako had just said. "Ahhh," she finally said as she reopened her eyes. "I see. I called that girl's house, but her parents must've sent you. Is that it?" "Y-Yes," Kanako said quickly. "Does that mean she's here?" "Mm," the woman said. "Haruna's here."

Kanako's heart soared at the news. Finally, she had found her love. Relief flooded over her, and Kanako nearly jumped for joy. But, there was one thing that prevented her from doing so, a question on her mind. "Um," she began. "I-If she's here, then why didn't you say so sooner? I-I'm pretty sure I called here looking for her." "People need time," the woman said simply. "Whether it's to enjoy something great, or process something tragic, we all need a bit of time to ourselves to take it all in. Though it hasn't been long, I think Haruna's ready now. Just call it the intuition of the old," she said, finishing with a small laugh.

"C-Can I... see her?" Kanako asked. The woman smiled at her. "Of course dear. Wait one moment." Turning around, the woman headed back down the hall and out of sight. A minute later, she returned, and right behind her was a girl. She was tall, and wore a basic, navy blue yukata perfect for an inn worker. Her silky black hair draped gently behind her back and with each step, its swaying slowed, as did she. Her eyes, a darker green in color, widened as she saw the one who had come to see her.

"Kanako..."

Standing across from her, Kanako's chest felt heavy and light all at the same time. Her feelings were a complete mess, and they went in all sorts of directions. There were so many things she wanted to say, so many things she wanted to express, and yet...

"Haruna..."

...The only thing that came out of her mouth was the name of the girl she loved. Tears began to well in her eyes, and before she knew it, her feet carried her forward. Step by step, Kanako got closer to Haruna, and just as she could've broken into a run, she leapt.

"Harunaaa!"

She cried the girl's name as she jumped into Haruna's arms. "W-Whoa!" Haruna exclaimed, moving to catch her. The two of them collided, and Haruna was just barely able to keep them upright. "Geez, don't just dive at me like that," she said, though there was hardly admonishment in her tone. More than anything, she was so happy to see Kanako again. There were plenty of other things on her mind, but in that moment, Haruna felt nothing but joy.

Kanako looked up from Haruna's chest, her eyes still wet. "Haruna..." she uttered again, this time in a much softer voice. Her expression gave the impression that there was something she desired as she stared up at her girlfriend, and the girlfriend in kind stared back. "Is she... asking for what I think she's asking for?" Haruna wondered. As if in response to that question, Kanako's eyes fluttered closed a little, and her lips came up ever-so-slightly.

"Kanako..." Haruna breathed. Naturally, her face began to lean down toward Kanako's. Closer and closer they got, and in turn, both their heartbeats raced. Their lips were nearly connected-