Chapter Three: To Be So Close...

The remainder of Michi's time left at the Wakabayashi household had been... awkward, to say the least. After having argued with their parents, she returned to Chiyo's room, only to find the girl curled up in a ball again. "Is she asleep?" Michi wondered. Getting closer, it didn't sound like the breathing of someone sleeping. "Chiyo?" she called quietly. A moment passed with no response. "Hmph. I guess she really is- whoa!"

Before Michi knew it, arms had come up to pull her down. With no way to resist, Michi plummeted down toward Chiyo, her face landing directly in the gal's breasts. "H-Hey, Chiyo! What gives?! Let go- mmph!" As Michi went to protest, she found her head pushed down, cutting off her speech and air supply. "Sorry Mi-chan, but I don't want you to go just yet," Chiyo said.

Feeling the pressure let up a little, Michi pushed her way back up. "Pah!" she exclaimed. "What the hell Chiyo?!" In response to her reaction, Michi's eyes suddenly got covered by Chiyo's hand. "D-Don't like, look at my face yet either." "What's going on with you?" Michi asked as she tried to uncover her eyes. "Just give me a sec!" Chiyo cried. "Oh come on Chiyo! Seriously, I'm tired of you screwing with me like this. Now, let. Me. See!" Michi demanded.

With one more good tug, she managed to free herself of Chiyo's covering. When she did, she saw Chiyo looking away from her as much as she could. "Did you do something to your face when I wasn't in the room?" Michi asked. "More like you did something to my face..." Chiyo muttered. "What does that even mean?" Michi sighed. "Just look at me already. It feels like you're ignoring me when you're like that."

"No."

"Come on, don't be difficult."

"That's totally the pot calling the kettle black Mi-chan."

"Ugh, this is getting ridiculous!" Michi exclaimed. Reaching out her hands, she placed them on Chiyo's cheeks, planning to forcibly turn the gal's head. "Look at me Chiyo!" she shouted as she did so. What came next stunned Michi.

Now face to face, what Michi saw was an expression she had never seen Chiyo make before. Her eyes were wide, her lips slightly parted. The look she had could perhaps be best described as panic, but there seemed to be other emotions mixed in. Although, the biggest thing Michi noticed was the redness of Chiyo's face.

For a moment, they stared at each. "W-Why is your face all red?" Michi struggled to ask. "Do you have a fever or something?" Seeing Chiyo make the face she was making was causing Michi to lose her composure. "I don't know," Chiyo said weakly. "Why don't ya check?" "No thanks. I don't want to be any closer to you than necessary," Michi said, trying to regain her senses. "You're pretty close now though Mi-chan," Chiyo pointed out. With their faces mere centimeters apart, that was certainly true.

"I-I'm only close because you pulled me down," Michi explained. "Then get up," Chiyo said softly. To her surprise, Michi didn't move. "...Or... do you not want to?" Chiyo continued, hope seeming to emerge in her eyes and tone.

They were so close they could feel each other's hot breath on their faces. Chiyo's cheeks were still as red as ever, and as she sat there, barely a space between her and her crush, she could feel her heart pounding. "Mi-chan..." she let out. "D-Don't... look at me... l-like that..." Michi just barely managed to say. It was clear she wasn't quite thinking normally either. Her face was nearly as red as Chiyo's, which only spurred the gal on even more.

"Hey, Chi, I wanted to-"

Suddenly, Chitose opened Chiyo's door, and the scene she walked into stopped her dead in her tracks. It certainly wasn't the first time she had witnessed her little sister getting all "close-and-personal" with someone, but seeing that it was with Michi was what really shocked her. She knew Chiyo had feelings for Michi, but from what she knew about the situation, Chiyo was certain Michi wouldn't feel the same way. However, considering her own observations, Chitose had wondered if that was true.