Chapter Two: No Matter What, I'll Protect You

Walking along the side of the road, Chiyo seemed to be in a pleasantly good mood. Humming happily, she was practically skipping instead of taking normal steps. "Would you cut that out already?" Michi complained as she walked next to the gal. The two of them were on their way back from the party they had just had.

"You should join me, Mi-chan," Chiyo said. "I'm not really in the mood for skipping after you got all mad at me..." Michi muttered. Hearing that, Chiyo stopped, getting serious. "Mi-chan," she began. "I just want you to get along with everybody. But, sometimes, you're really way too stubborn. Like, I think you'd beat a mule in a stubbornness contest." "I'm not that bad!" Michi exclaimed. Chiyo shrugged. "Even so, it wouldn't hurt if you'd just roll with things a little more instead of taking every chance to pick a fight with Haru-chi." "I can't help it. Her existence provokes me," Michi muttered.

Chiyo sighed as they resumed walking. "Just so ya know, you're talkin' about my best friend." "Some best friend," Michi scoffed. "It seems like you spend more time with me than her these days." "That's because I want to spend my time with you," Chiyo said easily, giving a smile to the girl next to her. "Don't say it like that. It sounds weird," Michi said, causing Chiyo to laugh.

"Hey, speakin' of spending time together-" "No," Michi said immediately. "Aw, why not?" Chiyo said, sounding almost heartbroken. "I don't want to hang around you all the time like this. The only reason it keeps happening is because you twist my arm until I say yes," Michi complained. "..." Chiyo only stared in response. "W-What?" Michi said, nervous. "Twist your arm?" Chiyo said doubtfully. "You asked me out to a cafe a couple weeks ago girl." "I-I just felt like it, okay?!" Michi shouted. "Guess I didn't realize I could twist you into inviting me places," Chiyo teased. "S-Shut up!" Michi yelled, now completely flustered.

In reality, Chiyo didn't really have to do much anymore. Most of the time she could simply ask and, while always appearing reluctant, Michi would say yes. As had just been mentioned, their relationship had even reached the point of Michi being the one to ask Chiyo to go places. It was yet another change that Michi wouldn't accept consciously.

"So anyways-"

"No."

"Pleeeease?"

"Not happening."

"What if I give ya another smooch?"

"That makes me want to even less!"

All the way until they reached the point where they parted, their banter continued. At first, Chiyo had seriously been trying, but her efforts had soon devolved into just messing with Michi to get reactions out of her. When it was finally time for them to say goodbye though, Chiyo stopped.

"Chiyo?" Michi said, confused by the gal's sudden freeze. "I want you to come over," Chiyo said quietly. It wasn't a question so much as it was an expression of desire. "What, right now?" Michi asked. Chiyo shook her head. "How about Tuesday?" Michi knew she was free, but of course, she hesitated to say yes right away. However...

"...Alright. I'll see you Tuesday," Michi said, eventually giving her consent. "Later." "See ya!" Chiyo said, waving enthusiastically. As Michi walked away, she cursed at herself a bit for yet again bending to the gal's whims so easily. "Why does this keep happening?" she wondered. It seemed like every time Chiyo asked, she was destined to give the okay. "I just hope she never asks for anything weird."

Michi continued to become lost in thought, but it wasn't long before she became completely distracted. Having only gone a short distance, she wasn't that far from where she had left Chiyo behind, but she had assumed that the gal had gone her own way. So, naturally, when Michi suddenly felt an impact on her back and head, she wondered what was going on.