Part III: Ernie

Until the butler made his speech, Ernie had been telling himself that the strange events of that night were all some roleplaying crap. After Barrymore explained the danger they were in, Ernie started to believe the characters around him were real. Of course, Morgan le Fay transforming into a big goddamn wolf also obliterated any lingering doubts.

Ernie scattered along with everyone else, not stopping until he was halfway down the hall that led to the dining room. He listened to the terrible sounds of Silver crying out in agony as the wolf tore through him. Then there was silence. Ernie decided to risk taking a look.

As soon as he peered around the corner he saw a grisly scene. A bloody trail led from the foot of the stairs to the corner of the lobby where Herbert West crouched over Long John Silver, whose stump was spurting blood. Everyone else stood a safe distance from the wolf who now sat on her haunches at the foot of the stairs, teeth bared. Everyone, that is, except Princess Langwidere, who slowly approached the beast with her hands raised.

"I mean you no harm, beautiful creature," she said softly. "Turn back to your true form, and let us flee this place together."

The wolf tilted her head and studied the Princess with those savage, yet unmistakably human, eyes. Silver grumbled in pain and the wolf jerked, her body tensing as if getting ready to attack again.

Ernie watched as West took off his tie and wrapped it tightly around Silver's wrist just above his missing hand. "What are ya doing?" the pirate asked, his voice a whisper.

"Saving your life, you old fool."

Ernie came closer to look at the gory stump. His first instinct was revulsion, but seeing the fear in the old man's eyes, he decided to smile. "That doesn't look too bad. Get you a nice hook and you'll be fixed right up."

Ernie turned back to the wolf and saw something incredible happen. As the Princess approached the animal, making hushing sounds, the fur on the beast's legs and torso receded. Bones popped back into place and her claws disappeared. Within seconds, she had turned back into the naked form of Morgan le Fay. The woman stared at the group, seemingly unconcerned that only her long hair was concealing her modesty.

"I hast control of myself anon," she said, taking deep, calm breaths. "I must go thither the garderobe to clean up."

In one fluid movement she bent down to gather up the tattered remains of her gown and then walked up the stairs.

"I'll accompany her," said the Princess, and quickly followed her up the stairs.

As soon as they were out of sight, Silver spat on the ground. Ernie saw that his stump had stopped bleeding, but he looked paler than a vampire.

"I hope something right nasty happens to them," the pirate said.

"You are just a callous old man, aren't you?" replied the Countess.

"You try losing a leg and a hand and see how ya feel!"

Herbert West stood up, wiping his bloody hands on his white coat. "Despite her danger to the rest of us, we need Morgan le Fay here. Her magic may yet find a way out of this place before dawn."

"So why did we let them go to the bathroom by themselves?" asked Ernie.

The sound of a toilet flushing repeatedly came from upstairs. After a few moments, they heard footsteps. Morgan le Fay came down the stairs, alone. She was now wearing the Princess Langwidere's gown. She even had her key around her wrist.

"Where is the Princess?" said West, his eyes narrowed.

"And why are you wearing her dress?" added Ernie. "Y'all get up to something naughty up there?"